THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing Aug 2012
THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520 July 2011

www.mirkabreen.com
http://mirkabreen.BlogSpot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
That's great, Vonna! I have a nephew and brother-in-law in Houston. Have not heard yet what is going on with them. Prayers for all!
#32 - August 27, 2017, 07:10 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
Well, things went to hell in a handbasket last night. Flooding is widespread and most of Houston is inundated. We are. We have some neighbors not far away who are not underwater, so we made get out our bass boat and float over there this afternoon.

Helen, I hope your nephew and brother-in-law are safe!
#33 - August 27, 2017, 07:28 AM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
Book Friends Bookshop
KidLit Agents/Editors at Conferences, Workshops/Retreats/Online Workshops
twitter @VonnaCarter

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Oh, Vonna.  :green Please stay safe with any floating you may do. Hope the water goes down soon.
#34 - August 27, 2017, 07:54 AM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Oh, Vonna!  I popped by here to see if you'd posted any updates.  You and your family are in our prayers. Keep us posted as you can. Prayers for everyone being affected by this storm.
#35 - August 27, 2017, 08:13 AM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Booth Brothers: Drama, Fame & the Death of Lincoln
Capstone: September 1, 2017

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Omigosh, Vonna. I'm so sorry. We were watching the weather channel last night, and they were talking about Houston and I thought of you. You are in our prayers.    :bluesad
#36 - August 27, 2017, 08:19 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Ugh, Vonna. I came here right from a national weather site. I have a feeling we won't be hearing much from you for a few days, and then you will be very very busy. Good thing Race is safely off to school.
#37 - August 27, 2017, 09:02 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Vonna, please stay safe!! Sending tons of prayers your way.
#38 - August 27, 2017, 09:02 AM
'Vehicle Dreams Series' Running Press Kids
Race Car Dreams 2016
Bulldozer Dreams 2017
Fire Truck Dreams 2018
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale 2015

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Oh Vonna, so sorry but the way Harvey is parked it didn't look good at all. Please stay safe and dry. Praying for all of you.
#39 - August 27, 2017, 09:09 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Vonna, more prayers and thoughts for safety for you and your family! (And anyone else in the Houston area)...
#40 - August 27, 2017, 09:16 AM
Robin
Teen Books A Guide for Families (Vol. 1&2): https://www.amazon.com/s?field-keywords=robin+prehn
My Blog: http://robinellen.livejournal.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
Hugs and prayers, Vonna! After reading your post last night, I so hoped the worst had really passed . . . sending dry thoughts and prayers your way.
#41 - August 27, 2017, 09:29 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
Vonna, I hope you are safe. I talked to a couple of Houston friends this morning. My father-in-law was evacuated to Houston  (he was in a nursing home in Corpus). Why they took him to Houston, I don't know.  His daughter thought he was going to Dallas. I called the nursing home this morning, and they said he was fine. This is one of those situations where having Alzheimer's is a good thing.  He's not really cognizant of everything that's happened in the last couple of months.

I evacuated around noon on Friday -- yep, very last minute. I'm in McAllen Texas, staying at the vacant home of a friend from the kidlit community. I don't think she's active on the blueboards anymore. My 18 year old son, 2 dogs, and 3 cats are with me. I am very, very grateful to have had a place to go to hold all of us. There has not been one drop of rain in this area.

My house is fine. No power.  Corpus is under a water boil notice. Gas and open stores are scarce. The mayor said people can come back,  but he wouldn't recommend it if you were in a safe place. I also had a slight mechanical boo-boo with my car on the way down -- my left back passenger window slipped into the door frame. It's supposed to be repaired tomorrow. We may head back home Tuesday depending on conditions in Corpus. I'm not going back until the power's back on and Harvey's gone. At one time they said something about Harvey coming back around to Corpus again.

I hope all are safe. Harvey has turned out to be a humdinger of a storm.
#42 - August 27, 2017, 12:32 PM
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 12:59 PM by Lill »
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region caribbeannorth
Hoping all goes better than expected.  Be safe.  Blessings.
#43 - August 27, 2017, 01:08 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Thanks for the updates, Vonna and Lill. I've been watching the storm news closely and worrying about both of you (and your families). Stay safe!
#44 - August 27, 2017, 01:11 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Another vote to say so glad, Vonna and Lill, you're okay. Prayers for you and everyone who is or was in Harvey's path.
#45 - August 27, 2017, 02:58 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Thank you, Lill and Vonna, for giving us updates. You and your families and all those others affected by the storm are in our prayers. Hoping everybody stays safe.  :grouphug2
#46 - August 27, 2017, 03:38 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
 :grouphug2 to everyone affected by Harvey. Lill, I'm so glad to hear your home is all right and that you have a place to stay.  I'm also glad we can communicate and don't have to sit and wonder like we did so many decades ago.
#47 - August 27, 2017, 04:50 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Lill, thank you for checking in! I'm so glad you have a safe place to stay, and that your furry babies can be with you.

I'm also glad we can communicate and don't have to sit and wonder like we did so many decades ago.

:exactly

#48 - August 27, 2017, 05:07 PM

Roving Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Vonna, thinking about you and hoping you and your family are safe.  :flowers2

Lill, I'm very glad you got out and have a safe place to stay.  :flowers2

What a terrible situation! Sending prayers for the entire area!
#49 - August 27, 2017, 06:00 PM
http://twitter.com/EnaJones
http://www.EnaJones.com

CLAYTON STONE, AT YOUR SERVICE
Holiday House, 2015
CLAYTON STONE, FACING OFF
Holiday House, 2016

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Vonna, thinking about you and hoping you and your family are safe.  :flowers2

Lill, I'm very glad you got out and have a safe place to stay.  :flowers2

What a terrible situation! Sending prayers for the entire area!

:exactly  So glad you're safe, Lill and Vonna. Prayers for everyone in the area. My parents lived in Aransas Pass for many years and I'm pretty sure their old house has to be flooded...it was close to the water. We have so many wonderful memories from Aransas Pass, Port A, and Rockport. Heartbreaking to see so much just gone.

#50 - August 27, 2017, 06:31 PM

Poster Plus
The relatives that evacuated to stay with me in San Antonio, went back to Corpus. Their apartment complex notified residents that their electricity was back on, the city water treatment plant is up and running so the boil water should be lifting soon. Corpus dodged the mess that wound up getting Rockport and Port Aransas. What they predicted for San Antonio didn't happen. Praying for Vonna and the rest of Houston--this is indeed catastrophic.

#51 - August 27, 2017, 08:46 PM
Beyond Suspicion, YA Mystery, Poisoned Pen Press, 2015
http://www.catherineawinnbooks.com

So sorry for all this. Stay safe. Sending lots of thoughts your way.

Ree
#52 - August 27, 2017, 09:00 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
So glad all are safe. Sounds like a horrific storm. Did they think Harvey woud be that bad?
#53 - August 28, 2017, 09:32 AM

Poster Plus
So glad all are safe. Sounds like a horrific storm. Did they think Harvey woud be that bad?
No, from the coverage we're getting this was a total surprise and that's why they were not told to evacuate because they thought they would be safer staying put instead of thousands converging on the road to leave.

#54 - August 28, 2017, 12:34 PM
Beyond Suspicion, YA Mystery, Poisoned Pen Press, 2015
http://www.catherineawinnbooks.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Thanks for the update, Cathie. The photos are heartbreaking.
#55 - August 28, 2017, 01:06 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
Vonna, I hope your family and you are well. Did you float to a safe place? My brother-in-law and nephew are in a 4th floor apartment in the Galleria area. Last I heard they were doing well, staying dry, had water, and food.  Other family members are medical professionals who are working. My husband's family in Beaumont are above water, but today may be another story as the storm shifts. Prayers and peace for all. God bless the Cajun Navy and all  first responders and volunteers who have boated, stepped, wadded, and swam to rescue others. There are good people everywhere.
#56 - August 29, 2017, 03:36 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
The images on the news...I am heartbroken.  :cry2 Vonna, I've been working non-stop and  :invisible here but thinking of you and sending  :star2 :star2 :star2 :love5 :star2 :star2 :star2 Sending some your way too, Lill!  :star2 :star2 :star2 :love5 :star2 :star2 :star2

To everyone in that region, stay safe.  :grouphug2 :flowers2
#57 - August 29, 2017, 09:05 AM
Top 50 finalist, The Launch Pad Manuscript Competition, https://www.tblaunchpad.com/contests/6

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Vonna and Lill have both evacuated to friends' houses. Thank heavens for helpful friends! Hope everyone else that's affected is safe and dry, too. My heart just broke yesterday when I saw photos of residents in a care center sitting in their wheel chairs in water up to their waists while they waited for someone to come save them. The home director couldn't reach anyone to get help, so her daughter posted the photo all over the internet. The fifteen residents were finally taken out by helicopter and eleven of them were hospitalized. And this is just one incident! My heart bleeds for all the people whose homes are submerged and who have lost so much. So far, the loss of life has been minimal, though, and I hope it stays that way! "Possessions are expendable. Lives are irreplaceable."
#58 - August 29, 2017, 09:56 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
What Verla said.  :sadcry
#59 - August 29, 2017, 11:15 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I saw that picture too, Verla. So glad they were rescued. I also read most of the people with homes around Houston don't have flood insurance. It's a complete loss.

So heartbreaking, but it's true - possessions are expendable, lives are irreplaceable.
#60 - August 30, 2017, 07:56 AM

Members: