SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

More magazine query help, please!

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
Thank you, Blueboarders, for all the help you've been with querying magazines!!  I'm so happy that I've had some luck (first article coming out in Muse in October!) - it's been your advice steering me in the right direction!!  :thankyou :thankyou :thankyou

I was hoping you all could help me out again: what is the standard information to include with a query for an interview?  Would a list of sample questions suffice in place of an outline?  Is there an expectation about how firm the question list is?  I'd love to query with more questions than I plan on including in the final, but perhaps that's too much information for the editor at this stage?  Besides an introduction of the expert being interviewed, what other information am I missing that should be included?

(...am I way over-thinking it, and I should just go with my gut and submit the thing already?!  Over-thinking is a particular strong suit of mine  :paperbag)
#1 - August 24, 2017, 05:18 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Hi Becca,

I normally keep the request very high level. I tell the interviewee who the article is for, when it's scheduled to run and provide a link to the Web site. I provide a couple of sentences about the article and give the interviewee a general idea of what I want to discuss and how long the interview will take, so they can schedule an appropriate time.

I would only provide a list of potential questions once the interview is scheduled, if that's something you want to do.

Hope that helps!

Kirsten

Hope that helps.
#2 - August 25, 2017, 06:02 AM
Kirsten W. Larson

--
WOOD, WIRE, WINGS (Calkins Creek, 2020)
http://kirsten-w-larson.com
Authors and illustrators ... join me at SubItClub.com!

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Congratulations Becca!!! I query for interviews like Kirsten does and ask if they'd be willing to answer a few questions. If yes, we get the ball rolling. Good luck!!!
#3 - August 25, 2017, 06:23 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thank you!!  Blueboarders are the best!!  :goldstar :goldstar :goldstar

Keeping my fingers crossed!
#4 - August 25, 2017, 04:54 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Becca, I'm confused. I thought, from your post, that you were asking how you would query an editor about an interview you were planning to do, if it was approved.

But it sounds to me like Kirsten and Vijaya are talking about how you would query the potential interviewee.

Did I misunderstand?
#5 - August 25, 2017, 06:09 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Hi Ev - thanks for asking!  To be honest, I has both in mind when I was writing my post (sorry for the confusion!).  Kristen and Vijaya did help me understand what interviewees would like to know. 

Any advice you can give about querying an editor is appreciated!! 

I'm not sure why the querying process has me so befuddled...  It seems straightforward until I actually sit down to make sure I've checked all the boxes, etc.  Would the editor expect a definitive set of questions?  If I expect the final article to include 6-8 questions, is it okay to query with 12-16 and let the ones with the most interesting answers get published?

Thanks for your post, Ev!
#6 - August 25, 2017, 06:30 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Becca,

So it sounds like you are querying a Q&A type article? I'm hoping someone else knows what to do, as I've only queried straight-forward articles, and a profile, which was not in Q&A format. For the profile, I just pitched the overall story, not the questions I would ask.

Sorry!
#7 - August 26, 2017, 06:24 AM
Kirsten W. Larson

--
WOOD, WIRE, WINGS (Calkins Creek, 2020)
http://kirsten-w-larson.com
Authors and illustrators ... join me at SubItClub.com!

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Becca, in the query to the editor, I pitch the topic, angle, and the names of potential experts to interview. I try to include three. I also provide a detailed outline of the article, not the questions I'd want to ask. Sometimes when the editor calls to talk about the pitch, she might want you to have a different focus or angle than the one you proposed, so you need to tailor your questions to the job you've been assigned. It *is* baffling the first few times but you'll get the hang of it.

I hope this helps. For more details read this: http://vijayabodach.blogspot.com/2016/09/query-letters-personal-journey.html

And good luck! V.
#8 - August 26, 2017, 06:36 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Kristen - yes!  I'm interested in pitching a Q&A style interview.  (man, my initial post missed a LOT of details!  Thanks for reading between the lines)

Vijaya - your blog post has been a tremendous help on this and in the past!  The structure you suggest has been a wonderful guide.  Thank you!

My current plan for querying the editor for a Q&A style interview is to submit potential questions where I would normally submit an interview.  I'll talk about the theme and scope of the interview in the query letter.
#9 - August 26, 2017, 05:01 PM

Members: