SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Crafts and art activities

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region southern-breeze
Any advice on how to submit arts and crafts activities to magazines?  I created pdf's with step by step images of how to do the craft. I also included the steps in prose. (Numbered steps).

I would like to hear from those who have published in this area.

Also, does anyone have a list of magazines that accept craft activities? I have been plowing through the  Writer's Market Place but would like  your suggestions.

Thank you.
#1 - August 28, 2017, 03:25 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
You'll need to look up the guidelines for each magazine. Highlights takes some, I believe.
#2 - August 29, 2017, 11:34 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Yep, you need to check the guidelines for each magazine as Debbie said.

I used to have a lot of crafts and activities published in The Little Lutheran, but it's been discontinued. I usually included photos of the craft for them. Sometimes they published my photo and sometimes they didn't.

For the only craft I've had published with Highlights, I sent the actual craft to them. They used the craft sample in the photo they included with craft. (This was before they were using Submittable, so it's probably better to send photos now instead of the craft sample itself.)

If you want to check more mag possibilities, I have an ezine with a list of lots of kids mags--
http://evelynchristensen.com/mags.html

Religious magazines are probably a good place to try crafts. Many Christian publications are weekly (Sunday school handouts) and use frequent crafts.
#3 - August 29, 2017, 12:51 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I submitted a science activity that incorporates a craft in the materials needed to do the experiment that is scheduled for publication in Spider magazine ( Oct. 2017).  The activity came about after my nonfiction piece was accepted and the editor asked me to create a companion craft, game, recipe, or activity to pair with the article.  She asked me to propose some ideas and then she selected the idea she wanted to see in manuscript form.   

For the manuscript, I started with a couple short sentences to describe  the activity and get kids excited about trying it.  Next, I included a "What You'll Need" section of materials needed and a "What to Do" section with simple, step by step instructions.  I also included sample photos I took of the actual project which I pasted in the manuscript itself at the end of the document.   I was told the sample photos helped the editors visualize the project idea and that the steps would be illustrated for the published piece.   They'd like the text describing the steps to be clear but also very short since it will be a  one-page activity when published.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes!
Sue
#4 - August 29, 2017, 02:01 PM
www.suegagliardi.com
Twitter: @Sue_Gagliardi
The Mysterious Writing Machine - Schoolwide 2015
Benjamin's Bookshelf - MeeGenius/HMH 2013

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thanks for the great tips. Evelyn,  your mag list is very helpful.  Any chance you can code the titles to indicate if they are on the PAL SCBWI list?
#5 - August 30, 2017, 05:43 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Sashie, that's a good suggestion and maybe I'll do it someday. Right now I have too many other things on my plate. If you'd like to check them out for PAL listings and send me your notes, I'll be happy to post them.
#6 - August 30, 2017, 10:41 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thanks. When I get to it, I will send my notes to you. Thanks for offering to add this info.
#7 - August 30, 2017, 10:46 AM

Members: