SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Christmas Cracked

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
A few years back I had a small rant on Facebook that Christmas ads had started on the 31st of August. I'm not a Grinch, but really it is a bit early for me and I feel it's very pressurising for parents. That was my point, just a small rant.
Anyway, my friend Morgan took it as a cue to tag me in a picture he saw and I took it as a joke.
Now, however, it has become a bit of a nuisance. Since I had that rant, he has taken it as a cue to tag me in a picture relating to "that time of year" every day from the 31st of August on FB with the tagline "Fiona Griffin, LOL".
These days it 's just winding me up. I've politely said in the comments, "yes, Morgan, you've had your joke, please leave it there". But he doesn't. I consider him a good friend, but I'm also considering blocking him. It's not funny to me now.

What would you advise?
#1 - September 05, 2017, 04:56 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Ignore him, esp. since he's also a good friend. I think sometimes people behave differently online than in person. And if it's posted on your timeline, you can delete it as well. Wowie, look at me, only a one year veteran of FB and already dispensing advice.  :hiding

Sometimes it feels like Christmas in July when we go school shopping. Pens!!! Pencils!!! Notebooks!!! Paper!!! Books!!!
#2 - September 05, 2017, 06:29 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Yeah, I'd just ignore it. It's not worth straining a friendship over, and if the guy's posting every day (?!) he'll get tired of it pretty quickly if he gets no feedback from you.
#3 - September 05, 2017, 04:10 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
I was wondering about something similar lately. I saw on Facebook the option to "block feed from this person without unfriending them", and I wondered if this could occur without notifying the person concerned. That way I wouldn't have to see what they post, and the "relationship" would not be affected. But I don't know enough about FB to know if the person is notified or not (and I haven't looked into it myself yet). Does anyone know about this? It might be a possible solution to thundering's problem.
#4 - September 05, 2017, 11:21 PM
My Australia - National Library of Australia (April 2018)
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink (August 2018)

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
I was wondering about something similar lately. I saw on Facebook the option to "block feed from this person without unfriending them", and I wondered if this could occur without notifying the person concerned. That way I wouldn't have to see what they post, and the "relationship" would not be affected. But I don't know enough about FB to know if the person is notified or not (and I haven't looked into it myself yet). Does anyone know about this? It might be a possible solution to thundering's problem.

Thanks, Julie.
This annoys John as much as it does me. To describe his facial expression: a dragon with huge eyes, prominent teeth and fire coming out of his ears. 
Rather inspirational, as it happens, since I am writing about a dragon.
#5 - September 06, 2017, 04:01 AM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
To describe his facial expression: a dragon with huge eyes, prominent teeth and fire coming out of his ears. 
Rather inspirational, as it happens, since I am writing about a dragon.

Thundering - this just goes to show that we will take any source of inspiration where we can find it! I'm glad you can see the silver lining! : )
#6 - September 06, 2017, 03:14 PM
My Australia - National Library of Australia (April 2018)
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink (August 2018)

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Members: