SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

submitting graphic novels

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I've written a graphic novel ms and have only 5-6 pages thumbnailed. I pitched this GN when I took Children's Book Academy MG Mastery course & won 3 golden tickets for my pitch (essentially makes it a solicited submission when I do submit). The expectation was that I would have my ms ready to submit by Oct/Nov. 

Here's my dilemma - do I just submit the portion of my manuscript as requested? What about the art work? Do I just state that I have pages X - XX thumbnailed/final samples if they wish to see them?  The instructions were specific to writers but as an illustrator I'm feeling uncertain. Ideally I'd have the thumbnails ready to go but I don't want to miss out on this opportunity either!
#1 - September 07, 2017, 07:19 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I'd treat it like a picture book dummy submission and send the manuscript and a dummy with few completed pages, but I could be way off. I'm not an illustrator.
#2 - September 07, 2017, 06:23 PM

Mistress of Mayhem
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Can you contact the Children's Book Academy MG Mastery people and ask? That's what I'd do. If not, my second choice would be what Debbie said, plus sending the script/manuscript along with it too (that way they have text separately from the thumbnail dummy).

Good luck!
#3 - September 07, 2017, 09:15 PM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (Disney-Hyperion)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Just like a PB dummy except instead of 32 pages it's 200 pages with up to 9 panels/page!  :lol5

I'll see how many I can get done by the end of the month.
#4 - September 08, 2017, 02:47 AM

Members: