SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Permission/copyright & nonfiction

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I'm writing a nonfiction book proposal and would like to include images of art by other artists in the book.  I write & illustrate so was thinking my sample chapter should be written/illustrated the same way I would submit a dummy if it was a fictional picture book.  Do I need to get permission to include a photo of an artwork by another artist in the proposal? Or can that permission wait until I find a publisher interested in publishing the book :thanx
#1 - December 29, 2017, 06:06 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Marla, I often do photo/art research for book proposals and at this stage, no permission is required, but neither do I submit a dummy (just links to the proposed photo/art). However, a couple of proposals were turned down because the art would've been too expensive, but it's the publisher who contacted the organization about rights/permissions. If you know the artists, why not ask them directly if they'd be interested in your project? That's my gut response. They might be happy to have new work. But I think it's probably easiest at this step to just write the proposal with links to the artists you have in mind. If the publisher likes the idea, the art director can work with you and other artists. Good luck!
#2 - December 29, 2017, 09:50 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Thanks for the advice Vijaya!
#3 - December 29, 2017, 09:58 AM

Members: