SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

What is YOUR craft?

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
This possibly should be blogging, but I'll ask here regardless.
My intention this month was to concentrate on Revisionland but on, "ahem", revision, I've noticed that it hasn't been posted for while. So, I thought I would concentrate on this board which brings me to pose this question:

What is the Craft of Writing? :eh2
We all have our interpretations and I would love to know yours and whether you have varying styles.

Thanks.
TE. :grouphug2 :thankyou
#1 - September 09, 2017, 08:12 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
It varies depending on the writing. It could be hitting the specs on a work-for-hire or making the work the very best I can. It's finding the exact right words for the story, voice, circumstance. If its a poem, add meter and possibly rhyme to the above.

Then its about combining that exact right word with others in the exact right order. Don't give away too much, don't show too little.
#2 - September 09, 2017, 06:24 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Thanks, Debbie.
On reflection, I have decided to concentrate on the Craft of Writing board itself: it will give me more scope and links to refer to. It's also one of the most popular so maybe a little more curiosity will give it traffic.
That's my aim, anyway, providing I'm not my usual long-winded self.
Starting it today. :umm
#3 - September 10, 2017, 06:40 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Thundering, I've been mulling your question about what *is* craft?

It is the actual writing itself (practice) and reading and dissecting. It is experimenting with new forms. It is tasting with your fingers what the story might be like. You never know until you put it down on paper.
#4 - September 10, 2017, 07:14 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
For me, it is expressionism. It's having a voice and giving voice to all manner of topics. It's linking humans to one another through the communication of words and empathising through characters.
Thundering, I've been mulling your question about what *is* craft?

It is the actual writing itself (practice) and reading and dissecting. It is experimenting with new forms. It is tasting with your fingers what the story might be like. You never know until you put it down on paper.

I agree wholeheartedly.
One of my downfalls as a writer is that I give my characters too much to say. Possibly because I never shut up myself! :muahaha :lalala
#5 - September 10, 2017, 07:21 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Yes to voice! And it takes a lot of writing to discover your own voice.
#6 - September 10, 2017, 07:25 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Yes to voice! And it takes a lot of writing to discover your own voice.

Ditto to that. I think voice is one of the most important things in a story. Even if you have a great plot, if the voice is stale, or too over the top, it simply won't get read. Voice is what carries the reader from beginning to
'the end'.  And as V. said, it can take a lot of writing to find your voice. The key is to keep writing and to keep trying.
#7 - September 10, 2017, 08:13 AM
'Vehicle Dreams Series' Running Press Kids
Race Car Dreams 2016
Bulldozer Dreams 2017
Fire Truck Dreams 2018
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale 2015

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Ditto to that. I think voice is one of the most important things in a story. Even if you have a great plot, if the voice is stale, or too over the top, it simply won't get read. Voice is what carries the reader from beginning to
'the end'.  And as V. said, it can take a lot of writing to find your voice. The key is to keep writing and to keep trying.

And to keep rewriting until you get it just right. For me, craft comes in revision.
#8 - September 10, 2017, 05:35 PM

Members: