SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

The opposite of historical fiction?

Discussion started on

I was wondering if this type of fiction already exists. I'm not talking about science fiction per say, merely a book fiction and non-fiction in the same way historical fiction about a real point in history.

Is there an equivalent in fiction set after the present day? I don't mean futurology, so much as general realistic fiction stories about a certain date in the future.

The closest example I can think of is, writing the fictional biography of your future son or daughter. Where the technology is very near future, but the plot is the same it would be if it were written about today.

Futurstic comes closest, but doesn't quite capture what I mean. A format about non-fictional futures set within a limited scope just after the present, revolving around people one immediately knows.

It's like a hybrid of futuristic biography and bleeding edge tech article. Basically a true biography set in a future date.

Or is the assumption that if its set in the future, it's Scifi?

Cause I have nothing else in common with science fiction.
#1 - September 10, 2017, 07:20 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
There's lot of general near futuristic fiction where authors play What If?

Some titles right off the top of my head: Adoration of Jenna Fox, Double Helix by Nancy Werlin, Jurassic Park! (this is adult, but my kids read it when they were in middle school).

I hope this helps. V.
#2 - September 10, 2017, 10:18 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
The actual opposite of historical fiction is contemporary fiction. The moment you speculate about the future, you are in a speculative fiction category. Whether it is science fiction, fantasy, horror or another spec fic category depends on your focus. If you focus on the science, it's sci fi. If you follow the action as if it were a contemporary story that just happens to take place in the future, where it falls will depend on what you do with that future. Why does the story take place then and not now? Here are a couple of resources that may help you.

http://www.spi-global.com/blog/cs-blog/the-difference-between-speculative-fiction-and-science-fiction/

https://diymfa.com/writing/defining-speculative-fiction
#3 - September 10, 2017, 05:48 PM

It's funny how foreign languages can help you find a more precise term you're looking for: Kuzoku Biographie Futuriste. Although for sake of word economy, I generally call it Kuzoku Futuriste.

Generally refers to fiction set in a dark future, that revolves around the dark biography of a fictional version of a hypothetical niece or other relative that lives in a world after the present. Generally revolves around a Post Climate Change future during the height of ... certain world developments, but unlike Dystopian, does not exaggerate certain features with a preference toward realism . Although it can be written as middle grade, I've done it, it achieves the most it can when it's written as Young Adult and/or New Adult.

Compared with Cyberpunk, there is less of an implication of ubiquitous Virtual reality.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the word literary. My understanding, or rather, how it's used by my writer contemporaries, is "this is quite artistic, but I don't think we can sell this." It's like a literary tombstone, the final stop before a work is pulped. A rejection letter before it's reached the Lit Agent office.

Sounds like an insult to Hunger Games. I can see why my work might be called such. But HG sells way better. Deserves better.

I removed Life Like Wires In Sand from wattpad, because I felt literary ghettoed on Wattpad for example.

Trying to word this as as positive way about others work as I can, but not sure if a nice way to say "My work is ghettoed." XD
#4 - September 11, 2017, 08:34 AM
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:35 AM by SarahW »

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
So it's futuristic fantasy that's not dystopian but is still dark. Sounds refreshing. Literary is not a death knell by itself. However, sometimes literary means slow and or incomprehensible. Neither of those will fly for YA.
#5 - September 11, 2017, 06:42 PM

Members: