SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Writing children's e-book/apps

Discussion started on

spiderhouse

Hello everyone,
 I'm just curious to see if anyone is currently looking into jumping on board with the children's e-book/app world? Or if anyone has looked into it? Writer or illustrator.
Thanks!
Jeremy
#1 - April 11, 2011, 07:39 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
I have an app coming out this year through an app development company, They had a concept for how the app would work and wanted an original story after trying to put public domain fairy tales in. I pitched one and they sent a contract. Once they got the story, they immediately contracted a sequel, which is only outlined right now until they decide if the first is successful enough to merit a second.

The art is complete (it was contracted out) and the app is being assembled. They just sent me a new contract to do the Read-to-Me after I sent them a demo and they decided I sounded good enough.. They preferred an author read than to hire talent. This bumped my royalty up another 5%. They paid an advance plus royalties. Since I own a small press, I negotiated to keep paper rights so that if it became popular, I could make a picture book from the story.

They have set up the web site and the Facebook page, but we're not public yet until we have a firm launch date. The App is much more than just a book and read-to-me. Nothing like it exists, but I'm guessing the app concept will be copied a lot as soon as it is out. It was a wonderful idea and I'm pleased to be part of it. I think my story and characters do the concept justice.
#2 - April 11, 2011, 10:14 AM
Author of iPad apps, MG books, and women's fiction

Members: