SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

How to mount an illustration?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Apologies if this has been answered before, my search results came back with a lot of mountains and mounting deadlines.

So I'm submitting an illustration to my region's conference illustration contest, and their webpage specifies:
Entries are to be mounted on foam core or mat board (with a maximum size of 18" wide by 12" high) with a string attached for hanging. See pictures below:  https://midsouth.scbwi.org/illustrator-lounge/

I've mounted and matted pictures before, where there's a bottom board and then a top mat frame; but I'm afraid I don't understand how to mount onto a single board.  If I left the top frame off with the method I use, there would be exposed tape.  Could anyone explain this to me?   (I'm trying not to bother the organizers with a general question as I imagine they've got a lot on their plate about now!)
#1 - September 25, 2017, 02:48 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Sophie, I think I'd just use glue to fasten the print of the art to the foam board & a rolling pin to go over the art, making sure there are no bubbles/waves. You could use 2 sided tape, but may leave edges gapping? Use packing tape to attach the hanging string, so it doesn't just tear off.
#2 - September 26, 2017, 03:59 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
Hi Sophie,
I've never mounted to a foam board, but I often mount prints to a wood panel, I imagine it would be the same process - I use Artist-Tac paper, it's a double sided mounting paper and covers the entire area of the print. I apply it to the board first and then line up the print on top.  As Chris suggested, I use a roller to get out air bubbles. I find it on Dick Blick: http://www.dickblick.com/products/grafix-artist-tac/

I've used glue for this also as Chris mentioned, I just find  the mounting paper easier. Glue dries so quickly during the process because you're using such a thin smear.

Hope this helps!
#3 - September 26, 2017, 06:00 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Joan, that's so interesting, I don't remember hearing about Tac paper!
#4 - September 26, 2017, 09:45 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Thank you all for your suggestions.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find anywhere in my area that sells Artist-Tac paper, but I'll think about ordering some for next time.  I ended up using spray adhesive to mount the piece and it seems to have worked well enough.  Now fingers crossed I can protect it on the 6-hour bus ride to the conference!
#5 - September 27, 2017, 03:22 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Have a great time at the con and best of luck with the contest, let us know how it went!:)
#6 - September 29, 2017, 03:35 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
So I consider the contest a learning process :)  I didn't win, but I got to see the other entries and how other the artists presented theirs.  (Oh and my piece did survive the bus ride!)
#7 - October 04, 2017, 04:25 PM

Members: