SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Illustration Color Roughs

Discussion started on

Hi there!

I am wondering if any illustrators can explain to me what color roughs are. I was putting together a commission agreement for a client and came across this term on another illustration agreement. I'm pretty sure I know what it means but I want to be positive before I add it to my agreement. Any help would be appreciated! Also, my medium is watercolor so I'm wondering if this is this something that I should leave out since I'm not working with digital artwork.  Thanks!
#1 - December 29, 2017, 09:07 PM
I'm crazy enough to think I can...

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
 :snowman3 A color rough is usually a quick color block-in of the main areas of the painting. Yes, much easier to do digitally, but often essential to do with watercolor before you move on to the final larger, detailed piece. Think if it as a map of where you plan to have both your color and values planned before tackling the final art. Color roughs are like thumbnail sketches but are the step between the final pencil sketch and the beginning of the final painting.

What I usually do is scan in my final drawing and put 4-6 repetitions of the image on a plain piece of paper to print out and play with color and value before committing to a large (and costly) piece of watercolor paper.
#2 - December 30, 2017, 06:01 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (Piñata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Wendy,

This is so helpful, thank you so much! I figured it would be a loosely done version of color before final painting. When you scan and print out the final sketches for color values and such, are you using watercolors on normal paper? Since watercolor obviously doesn't work well on normal paper I'm wondering what to use to do the roughs with?

Thank you!
#3 - December 30, 2017, 08:12 AM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
I use watercolor on regular printer paper, it doesn't need to be good, just understandable.
#4 - December 30, 2017, 09:00 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (Piñata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Great! And are those then scanned in and sent back to the client for them to approve?
#5 - December 30, 2017, 09:02 AM

Members: