SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Illustrating a self-published children's book for a friend

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Hi! I am new to these message boards as well as new to illustrating for picture books.

A few friends of mine wrote a story for a children's book they are planning on self-publishing and they want to know a fair price to pay me (or any illustrator) to illustrate their book. This is their first time doing a book too so they don't know what to do either.

I just don't even know how to start this, what questions to ask, to do a contract now or wait until its certain? I feel like they are looking for guidance from me and I just don't want to overcharge friends who are printing these themselves but I also don't want to create a ton over work for myself and with little money. I think it would be fun to collaborate with them and I like the story so I just wanna make this as simple as possible. Also- one of the guys has another illustrator in mind so it appears as though I'm "up against" another artist and they would like me to do 1 or 2 samples for them. They are asking how much I would charge for that to start. Would you do a spread from the book or something small?

Does anyone have any advice or resources they can point me to? Any help is much appreciated. I am very confused if that's not obvious :)

:new
#1 - April 02, 2018, 07:32 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
Welcome meglea!

You can find great information on this post: https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?topic=80739.0
I recommend following all the links there to get a well-rounded view of how independent authors and illustrators can work together, especially the last one.
#2 - April 03, 2018, 07:43 AM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
Independent Publishers Galler
KidLit Agents/Editors @ Conferences, Workshops/Retreats/Online Workshops
twitter @VonnaCarter

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Thank you!!!
#3 - April 04, 2018, 05:12 AM

Members: