SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Please help culinary backward bachelor

Discussion started on

Actually, I'm just backward in some/many ways. I do have twelve cases of really good wine ready to share with the right woman, and I make a great spanakopita.

However, right now I'm having a problem with a recipe. Here's the language in question:

¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil plus 1 tablespoon, divided
1½ teaspoons salt, divided

My question is, what does "divided" mean? Something like "reserve" when used in a recipe? The recipe says what to do with "the remaining salt," but nothing about the 2 divisions of the olive oil.  This recipe is for "Serbian Chicken Eggplant Soup."

Any help would be appreciated, as I am weary of throwing away good ingredients used in my botched cooking attempts.

(I don't even want to go into my transformation of a beef roast into something as hard as a block of granite.)

I hope everyone is doing some good writing.

Gatz
#1 - October 01, 2017, 06:20 PM
SurfYourOwnMind.com, children's creativity blog currently in development.

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
It probably means that you will use 1/4 cup of EVOO at one time in the recipe and the 1 tablespoon at another time. That is why it is divided. The recipe is letting you know up front how much EVOO you will need in total even though you won't be using it all at the same time.

Hope that made sense and Good Luck.  :clover
#2 - October 01, 2017, 06:28 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I often find this means divided in half, as in half will be used at an earlier step in the recipe and the other half later. There could be other divisions. The procedure steps should tell you how the ingredient is divided and when to add each part. Good luck!
#3 - October 01, 2017, 06:37 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Hi, Katz. In the body of the recipe it probably tells you to use 1/4 cup of olive oil for one part of the process, and 1 Tbsp for the other.

A good way to do this is to measure out 1/4 cup and pour it in a cup (or just keep it in the measuring cup if you don't need it for anything else), and measure out the other tablespoon and pour it into something small, like a shot glass, so it's ready when you need it and you don't have to stop and measure it out when you're doing other things.

For the salt, you could always measure it out in jar lids or on a small piece of paper.
#4 - October 01, 2017, 08:20 PM

Thanks a bunch.

Gatz
#5 - October 01, 2017, 09:39 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Gatz, AnneB is onto something there. My mom gave me some little glass bowls a few years ago. They're tiny--they hold maybe two tablespoons. But when you have a recipe with lots of spices--or even just baking powder and soda both--you measure them out ahead of time. Then if you can't remember if you measured the basil or not, you just look. Once they're all measured, you start the recipe and just dump them in when the time comes. You'll feel like you're on a cooking show! I highly recommend it.
 :stirpot
#6 - October 01, 2017, 09:42 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Usually when they call for "plus 1" with oil, it's going to be used at the frying stage. So say for the cooking of the chicken or some of the veg. Somewhere in the instructions it's going to say, add one tbs oil to pan...:)

Katie, I used to be addicted to all the cooking shows on the Food Network (till it became mostly a string of "cooking contests") and I went and BOUGHT a whack of tiny glass bowls at the dollar store, just as you describe. I DID feel like a TV chef, was fun:) Mostly I don't measure anything anymore when cooking, pinch of this, handful of that, but still use them for baking.
#7 - October 02, 2017, 02:40 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
My "little glass bowls" come from Goodwill -- some are two cup, some are one cup, and then there's that ancient shot glass that I've had since forever -- very useful for vanilla. Also, I could not live without this amazing 1/4-cup measure http://a.co/4msTv6n   I must use it five times a week.  Bed Bath & Beyond has them, too, and with a coupon they're probably cheaper than at Amazon.
#8 - October 02, 2017, 03:59 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Gatz, if you have an Asian market, they have the cutest little bowls. My little Indian "katori" is very handy (and indestructible) for all sorts of things and did I mention they are cute? You're going to know more about cups and bowls than you ever wanted now :grin3
Might I suggest cooking a nice leg of lamb with that spanakopita?

So I read the recipe as Pons did, not as Marcia (who assumed it was half and half). Oftentimes you need the same ingredient (oil, salt or sugar) for the filling and the crust or wrap.

Good luck! V.
#9 - October 02, 2017, 05:54 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

I definitely will look for the little bowls, altho there's no Asian market in my town.

For Indian curries, I do have a small mortar and pestle into which I put my spices and grind them, just before adding them to the pot/skillet. There's no comparison between already ground and fresh ground, especially for coriander seeds (my favorite aroma in the world).

Thanks again.

Gatz
#10 - October 04, 2017, 02:18 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
If you are grinding your own spices, you are not at all backwards, Gatz!
#11 - October 04, 2017, 03:34 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
If you are grinding your own spices, you are not at all backwards, Gatz!

:exactly

Gatz, the one spice I insist on grinding fresh is nutmeg. It makes suuuuch a difference.
#12 - October 04, 2017, 04:30 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Members: