SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Writing Endings

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Hi! I'm trying to improve my endings. They always seem to fall flat. Beyond reading in my genres, what tips, links or books/articles would you recommend to help with writing strong endings? Thank you! :)
#1 - October 02, 2017, 06:06 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Reread your beginning. The beginning is the promise you make to the reader about the book. The ending has to show that promise as fulfilled. That's what makes an ending satisfying.
#2 - October 02, 2017, 08:23 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Perhaps think about the ending before you begin. Some writers actually write the conclusion first. Often with me the introduction is just a way to get a warm-up for my characters, to give a reader further reason for reading the book. Drawing through the climax of the and then towards the end. The conclusion has to tie up all loose ends and give the reader satisfaction. It's quite an achievement on the part of a writer to get someone to that stage. I think "strong" isn't necessarily the right verb. You could have a strong ending, but has it made the story "complete". I think that's what most of us aim for. :love5
#3 - October 03, 2017, 04:24 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Mickey Spillane said, "The first chapter sells the book. The last chapter sells the next book." :grin3 

This is one of my favorite topics because it's so true, and I've struggled with it too. I almost always know how a story will end before it starts and I write to that ending.

What Debbie said about fulfilling the promise was the first thing that came to mind.

What makes a story satisfying? A happy ending A sad one, but filled with hope. Bittersweet. But above all it should feel inevitable. I love the ones that make perfect sense but I didn't see it coming. Surprises--these are great for a picture book.

Some of the best craft books in no particular order that help with this:
Beginnings, Middles and Ends by Nancy Kress
Stein on Writing by Sol Stein
James Scott Bell has several books on craft and they're all really good, particularly Plot and Structure
Orson Scott Card too.

Here are some good essays on endings: http://writerunboxed.com/?s=endings

Happy reading and writing, Vijaya
#4 - October 03, 2017, 06:39 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I've been accessing Fiction University, for some plotting advice. She has tons of structural and writing info.
#5 - October 03, 2017, 06:49 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
Maybe it is where you are ending. Think about other places where you might end the story--at an earlier moment perhaps.
#6 - October 05, 2017, 08:11 AM
Keith McGowan, www.keithbooks.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
Patrick, this is also where being part of a critique group comes in handy. Without seeing the story, it's hard to give specific help. People who actually see your story will be able to do just that.
#7 - October 05, 2017, 11:14 AM
ROYALLY ENTITLED (inspirational/historical YA) and OOPS-A-DAISY (humorous MG) out now.  http://www.melodydelgado.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Hi! I'm trying to improve my endings. They always seem to fall flat. Beyond reading in my genres, what tips, links or books/articles would you recommend to help with writing strong endings? Thank you!

You write that  you think your stories "seem to fall flat" do you have any insight on why that occurs? Or do you have any ideas on why it might occur?
#8 - October 05, 2017, 07:59 PM

Members: