SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

POD Illustate in black line or paint in grayscale for chapter books

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
With POD being so popular I'm working on the illustrations for a chapter book for a new client. What is the standard now, black line B/W or painted in gray scale (many gray tones). Black line is possibly less expensive or is gray scale the same? I have done many books in color but is POD  different?
#1 - October 05, 2017, 11:15 AM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
POD charges by the page. Color is more expensive than black and white. Line art or gray scale makes no difference. Just make sure the files are at the size and dpi required by the printer.
#2 - October 06, 2017, 05:48 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Thank you, but that doesn't answer my question. To get the least expensive price on printing a chapter book does the illustrations need to be  black line only. I also want to consider gray scale where the full illustration has shades of gray. I suspect that the gray scale would be the same as color since the whole illustrations has ink on it. Black line only inks the line and the white is the paper.
#3 - October 06, 2017, 09:45 AM

Linda, I'm not sure if you're still monitoring this thread, but Wendy already answered you when she said:

Line art or gray scale makes no difference

Printing costs get more expensive based on the number of colours used, not 'how' the colours are used. With POD you're basically choosing between 4 colours (CMYK) which can be used to create a full-colour print, and 1 colour (Black) which can be used to create a greyscale print.

Greyscale drawings might have a variety of shades to them, and therefore seem more complicated that single colour lines, but from a print cartridge point of view, they both use a single colour: Black.
#4 - October 14, 2017, 07:05 AM
Oliver Piotrowski

Rhyming Chapter Book - Critique Request
https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?topic=85240.0

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Thank for your reply but you still didn't answer my question. Lets think  comics, the least expensive are black line and are printed on commercial printers not offset or inkjet printers.  There is a reason for that they most often print in black and or screen shaded for effect.
#5 - October 14, 2017, 08:31 AM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, because I'm pretty sure it's been answered.

If the question is whether, when using POD for publishing books, a greyscale illustration incurrs a greater print cost to the author than a line-art illustration, then the answer is no. A greyscale illustration costs the same as a line-art illustration to publish using POD.

If that's not what you're asking, then please can you restate the question in a different way?

#6 - October 14, 2017, 09:42 AM
Oliver Piotrowski

Rhyming Chapter Book - Critique Request
https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?topic=85240.0

Members: