SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

MS format for Iambic Tetrameter PB

Discussion started on

Hi, I am planning on making a post in one of the critique request forums, so it got me thinking about how a manuscript should be formatted when considering a picture book written in iambic tetrameter.

For my own ends, i'm writing single-spaced, four feet to a line, four lines to a verse, one empty space between each verse.

However, I'm not sure that is the best format for a rhyming picture book manuscript, especially if it needs to be double-spaced.

When we're talking about a long poem that - in order to fit in a standard length picture book - would currently require 4 "verses" per spread, would it make more sense to place each rhyming pair onto a single line?

Also, should there be a space between each verse? Orwould it be better to format as per Roald Dahls "Revolting Rhymes", in 4 feet lines without any clear verse spacing?

[edited] removed the extract from my poem as I didn't realise this was one of the public boards. I'd have picked a different section had I realised.
#1 - October 09, 2017, 06:42 AM
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 03:08 PM by 01i »
Oliver Piotrowski

Rhyming Chapter Book - Critique Request
https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?topic=85240.0

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Your first example is just fine for submitting a picture book in verse, Oli. For my rhyming manuscripts, I've submitted to agents, magazine and book publishers using that format.
#2 - October 09, 2017, 07:29 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
My experience is the same as Jayca's. The first example is fine for submissions.
#3 - October 09, 2017, 07:50 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Thanks very much :) I guess this thread can now be locked?? Do I do that?
#4 - October 10, 2017, 08:09 AM
Oliver Piotrowski

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
The thread doesn't need to be locked, 01i. Other people may have a similar question at some point and want to expand/add to this conversation.
#5 - October 14, 2017, 06:31 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

The thread doesn't need to be locked, 01i. Other people may have a similar question at some point and want to expand/add to this conversation.

As the majority of threads seem to say that they are locked, I assumed that there was some sort of closure process.
#6 - October 14, 2017, 06:38 AM
Oliver Piotrowski

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
We sometimes lock threads that are very old, especially when newly joined people on the board start answering questions that are no longer relevant to the original poster. Most of the time that's because the new people don't realize the threads they are posting on are years old.
#7 - October 14, 2017, 09:51 AM
Verla Kay

Members: