SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Villians we love to hate

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Can you name a few books with an antagonist that had someone you were happy to see go down? My mind's a blank.    :salute
#1 - October 16, 2017, 05:30 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Well, how can we not open with Harry Potter? Not only Voldemort, but Dolores Umbridge.
#2 - October 16, 2017, 07:49 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Maybe we need to differentiate between "villain" and "antagonist"? They are not always the same.
#3 - October 16, 2017, 10:06 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
If I remember right, the villains in Journey to the River Sea (Eva Ibbotson) get their just desserts.

There is something satisfying about MG that lets karma have its way... (er, not that I'm a naturally vengeful person! But yanno...in fiction you can exact justice in a way you can't in the real world...)
#4 - October 16, 2017, 01:43 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Mrh makes a good point. They're not the same. Are you thinking of characters that aren't quite so villainous?
#5 - October 16, 2017, 08:31 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
It is a good point. Thanks, Mrh for breaking it down. I'm looking for villains. I was thinking more of someone who you started out liking. Unassuming, but maybe something not quite right about him/her and then you learn he's very bad. Someone like Anne Wilkes. When we first meet her we think, oh, she's ok. She'll take care of Paul Sheldon. And then we learn differently. That's extreme. But something along those lines, where you thought you were going to like this character and then the tables turned. Mainly looking for YA. The only thing that comes to mind is the teacher in Okay for Now, by Gary Schmidt. But it's the other way around. You start out hating him and then you are overwhelmed with compassion and understanding. And how does Mr. Schmidt do that so very well and smoothly??  :poke
#6 - October 17, 2017, 05:52 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Another one that comes to mind is Entwined, by Heather Dixon. She does a very clever switch over the course of the story regarding who you think are the good and bad guys.
#7 - October 17, 2017, 05:58 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Thanks, Olmue. I put it on my library order.    :stars3
#8 - October 17, 2017, 06:20 PM

Members: