SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Tweeting to non-followers

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
I’m pretty new to twitter, and am wondering about “twitter etiquette “. I have an illustration show up, and wondered if it is okay to tell art directors who don’t follow me. If I tweet to them, will they see the message? And is it considered rude or intrusive, or is I okay to tweet for self-promotion? I’m pre-published and thrilled to be having a show in a great location (NYPL), but don’t know how to get the word out. Thanks,
Roxana
www.roxylh.com
#1 - January 26, 2018, 07:04 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
While I am not an illustrator, so I can't really speak to that, you don't want to spam or pitch on twitter (pitches are okay during pitch events, but those are to whatever the hashtag is, not directly to an agent/editor/art director). However you can ask your followers to retweet to help you spread the news. Even if the art directors don't follow you yet, they may follow your followers.

Twitter is organic and takes time for the seeds of contact and community to grow.  You can reach out to agents and art directors when they have #AskAgent sessions and the like.

Good luck with your show and with getting some attention on twitter!
#2 - January 26, 2018, 07:15 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Yes to what June said. Don't directly @ people to promote. But you can @ the venue and add hashtags to your post that will get it more exposure. For example, at the end of your tweet about your exhibit, you could add @nypl and hashtags describing your style of art and the event (I know nothing about illustration, but examples might be #ModernArt #WaterColor #ArtShow etc.)
#3 - January 26, 2018, 07:36 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Thank you June and Jayca, for such helpful and prompt replies! Still learning... I've been more active on instagram, so twitter is new to me. I'll do a post with a few more hashtags. And work on getting more followers!
Best,
Roxana
#4 - January 26, 2018, 07:58 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Yes to what was said above.

Also, FYI, if you also write texts for PBs, you can pitch at #PBPitch which is on 2/22. Check out www.pbpitch.com for details. You would pitch the book, but could include an illustration. If you only illustrate, then PBPitch isn't for you,  but I think there is a pitch event for just illustrations, but not certain. ..
#5 - January 26, 2018, 08:01 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Thanks – I do write also, and just heard recently about the next PBPitch (which I've never tried). Going to try to have something ready by 2/22. Thank you!
#6 - January 26, 2018, 08:07 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Also, you can follow art directors like Giuseppe Castellano  @pinocastellano . He's done a few twitter critiques where he just says, "post an illustration now and I'll give quick feedback." Sometimes they follow back.
Again, I'm not an illustrator, but I love seeing the art!
Other artists do things like #Inktober and be sure to follow other illustrators to build your community and platform.  Debbie Ridpath Ohi is one of my favorites for the doodles she does @Inkyelbows. I can't recall if she does any special hashtag.

#7 - January 26, 2018, 09:58 AM

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
To promote a particular art show, you can pin a tweet about it, so that that tweet shows up at the top no matter what else you tweet. Include an image of one of your paintings.

Also you can include info about the art show (dates, location) in your bio information, along with the appropriate hashtags.
#8 - January 26, 2018, 10:14 AM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Members: