SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

argh !

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Hello,

Has anyone experienced having a meltdown a picturebook project - I am illustrating my first picture book and the deadline is approaching and I cant decide when any pieces look finished, all the drawings look terrible to me and I'm now having to make quick, last minute changes at the publishers request!

Is it common to feel overwhelmed at this sort of point on a big project? What do people do, can you push through it or would walking away for a little while help?

:gaah
#1 - October 18, 2017, 02:35 PM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
Every. Single. Time. I'm working on books #11, 12 and 13 and I still have imposter syndrome rearing it's evil head. Work though it. That deadline won't wait for you.
#2 - October 18, 2017, 04:34 PM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (Piñata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Mistress of Mayhem
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Me too. Meldowns are common! Push through if you can. Take a break if you need to, and depending on the deadline, make it a five minute stretch, a walk around the block, or a day or night off to recharge.

Good luck!
#3 - October 18, 2017, 08:57 PM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (Disney-Hyperion)

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Thank you! That has helped - I think it was a jittery late night panic! :)
#4 - October 19, 2017, 12:36 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Absolutely yes. In my illustration work in general, deadlines are the best way for me to have a meltdown of imposter syndrome.  :faint

Crying helps. For real.  If I get to "that" point, I go off and have a good sob. Get it all out. Then I take some deep breaths, wash my face and drink a tall glass of water, and get back to it. Haha!
#5 - October 25, 2017, 04:20 AM
Allie MacAlister • Illustrator
www.alliemackie.com

Members: