SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Image Size

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Hi,

I'm submitting some work and I have done a bit of silly thing on a couple of files - I've left about .25 of an inch on the edges on the file size. Would resizing them affect the image quality at all - I know it's not much a resize at all, but I'm panicking it will affect the final image somehow! They're all scanned at 300dpi or more?
#1 - October 22, 2017, 02:22 PM

Mistress of Mayhem
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Not sure I completely understand, but here are two answers based on the two things I think you might be talking about:

1. If you've left an extra .25" on the sides, but the art is the correct size, that's standard to leave a bit of extra on the edges to account for cutting the paper.

2. If you've made  the art on a few pages smaller by .25" on the sides, and left the extra space blank by accident, that's not ideal. Resizing that small amount might be okay, depending on the art and how much it changes how it looks between the pages that have the extra blank space and the ones that don't. I'd suggest trying it to see how it looks (make a copy of the file and keep the original, just in case). Also print out a regular page and one that you've re-sized to see if you can notice a difference either on the screen or the printed out copies. If you can't notice a difference, it's probably okay. If it's distorted, or looks different than the other pages, then you might have to come up with a different fix.

If neither of these are what you meant, please re-post with more details.

Good luck!
#2 - October 22, 2017, 09:33 PM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (Disney-Hyperion)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Just saying I agree with Stephanie and that "I've left about .25 of an inch on the edges" is absolutely what you want to do, you want to have that bleed area for adjustments, cropping of pages, gutter.
#3 - October 23, 2017, 01:17 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Hi,

Thank you! They were full bleed images but I accidentally worked out the bleed incorrectly on the edges - I have readjusted though and tested a couple on the printer and it hasn't seemed to have affected the artwork or the quality of the print so it looks like it should be OK?

Cheers for your advice :)!

Cheers!
#4 - October 23, 2017, 02:05 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
 Megan, very glad it all worked out well in the end!!!:)
#5 - October 24, 2017, 01:08 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Members: