SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Tinkerbell and Pixie Hollow birthday party

Discussion started on

I am throwing a Tinkerbell party for my 4 year old twins, a` la the Disney Fairies movies, so not Peter Pan but a whole different set of fairies.

Since you're such a creative bunch, I'd love your ideas! I have a couple of questions:

1) I've purchased a bunch of sparkly fairy wings from the dollar store for kids to wear. I am having a hard time thinking about what to do for those who won't be interested in sparkly fairy wings. I am trying to avoid Pirates, which would have been logical if it were a Peter Pan party (but my daughters insist that it's a Pixie Hollow party). I could make simple capes out of green felt. That's not technically part of the movies but I can't make anything too elaborate and I think capes have that same flying feeling as wings. Are capes totally logical or totally weird in this situation?   Here are some photos from the movies: http://fairies.disney.com/tinker-bell-movie-gallery

2) Secondly, I am all ears to your clever suggestions of anything from games to food to decorations and more!

Thank you!

#1 - October 23, 2017, 06:15 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Is there some reason the kids can't all wear wings? If some of them don't want to wear them that's fine--and of course they can declare themselves to be dragon flies or whatever if they want. I'm afraid if you have two options available, there'll be squabbles and vaccilation and everybody will demand both options.

(I once started a riot at Vacation Bible School when I gave one kid a different-colored cupcake because he was allergic to red food coloring, but it was red day. So everybody else had a red cupcake and he had a...blue? one. And you have never seen so many kids convinced they were being ripped off because they did not have blue cupcakes. I was dealing with kids above my daughter's age group and wasn't prepared for the riots.)

For food: punch that ties in (green?), butterfly sugar cookies with crystal sugar that could be fairy wings, um...I haven't seen the movie so I'm just going off the photos you linked to. But I would think anything pastel and sparkly. Sorry not to be more help--but good luck!
#2 - October 23, 2017, 07:59 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
You could pin a tale on any of her animal friends. Maybe you can make a Don't Break the Ice sort of game called Don't Spill the Pixie Dust. I wouldn't use sparkles though. They get everywhere and into people's eyes in large concentrations. With the wings alone, you'll have them all over. Use salt or sugar for the game. If you buy colored sugar crystal sprinkles and frosting, you can have the kids decorate their own cookies. (My son had a decorate your own party at that age: we used Boboli pizza crusts, but you can use pita bread or tortillas for a smaller diameter and cookies.) Walk around a Disney Store for inspiration if you have one nearby.

I bet a freeze dance with Disney songs would work too.
#3 - October 23, 2017, 08:15 PM

Thank you both for these responses!

Dewsanddamps, I can picture that cupcake ordeal!  It certainly takes pressure off if I don't have to provide a second option. And you're right, kids can wear them or not wear them. To be honest (and I'm ashamed to admit this, given that I'm a big advocate of challenging our gender stereotypes) I was worried that some of the boys would not want the wings and I didn't want them to somehow feel excluded. But you're right, everyone can be offered the wings and they can wear them or not. And certainly there will be both boys and girls who will choose to wear them or not. I'm also having green party hats and blowers so maybe that's plenty. It definitely simplifies it for me.

Debbie, I love all those ideas, especially don't drop the pixie dust! My daughters would love that, brilliant!

ETA: I edited because green party hats kept autocorrecting to Green Party hats. Which adds a whole new layer!  :lol4
#4 - October 23, 2017, 09:55 PM
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 09:57 PM by Christine B. »

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
TINKER TOYS - Tink is a tinker so anything that they can build or figure out. Those bendy pipecleaners are a cheap and fun way to occupy time. Maybe wand decorating? I know they aren't really in the Pixie movies but Tink does have a wand at the opening of every Disney movie.
I love the cookie idea. I do that every year for the holidays. Make all cookies the night before. Animals, tools, butterflies, ladybugs etc. are good ideas. Those betty crocker tubes/pouches that each have an individual color make less mess in small hands, then SPRINKLES :-)

Each fairy has a talent. Maybe there is a way to make a game where they discover what type of fairy talent they have. Wind, light, animals, tinkers, plants, etc. They could get a pin or badge.

Have a great time with the party!

#5 - October 24, 2017, 06:15 AM

Love all those ideas, June!
#6 - October 24, 2017, 06:54 AM

Hi Christine! Maybe they could build their own fairy house. You could use mini-gingerbread houses and have them decorate with edibles, or just use other craft materials. I have three girls, and once upon a time they were all into fairies. So fun!
#7 - October 24, 2017, 09:55 AM
THE DARING PRINCE DASHING, Sky Pony Press - available now!

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
All these great ideas!
ETA: I edited because green party hats kept autocorrecting to Green Party hats. Which adds a whole new layer!  :lol4
:dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr

Maybe you could make a "flower cup" of pillows for them to take fairy naps in, in case things get out of hand. Everybody knows fairies sleep in flowers.  :yup
#8 - October 24, 2017, 07:33 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Members: