SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

NaNoWriMo2017

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Anyone else thinking about doing NaNo this year? I'm thinking this year is the year. I've written novels, but never one in a month. Going back and forth with age group, plots, characters...and re-reading Chris Baty's No Plot? No Problem! (which is hysterical the 2nd time around, too).

I'm on the edge...somebody wanna jump with me??   :drowning
#1 - October 24, 2017, 09:13 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
JFriday, pushing you off the ledge and jumping in right behind you because I've never done this either. I've been scribbling in a notebook and I really, really need to begin working on the computer. And just wait. I'll bet a nice, juicy assignment will come my way in Nov. But I can do both, right?  :horse 
#2 - October 24, 2017, 09:34 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Yay, Vijaya! We'll hold hands and jump!! :stars3

Of course you can do an assignment too. You're Superwoman! :superwoman
#3 - October 24, 2017, 10:00 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
I'm in! I'm Asingrey on the site. #NaNoWriMo is so inspirational! It's how I got the completed first draft of my first book back in 2015.
#4 - October 24, 2017, 11:46 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Asingrey, I just added you as a buddy! Vijaya, I didn't see your profile. If you're planning on going on the NaNoWriMo website, I have the same name there - jfriday. Not that I have any idea what I'm doing, because I totally don't.

Hopefully this won't lead to major embarrassment because I didn't figure out what to write...
#5 - October 24, 2017, 12:21 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
I added you as well JFriday. I think Nanowrimo is fun no matter how many words you get. For me at least, the inspiration is still there whether I "win" or not.
#6 - October 24, 2017, 12:34 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Oh, I wasn't planning on joining the Nano website officially because here's where I procrastinate. Is there a downside to not joining besides the huge embarrassment factor (I'm right there with you on that, JFriday)?
#7 - October 24, 2017, 02:08 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
No, it's fine, Vijaya.  I originally was going to try it in, I think, 2012. I joined...and never did a blessed thing. They just send me an email from time to time to tell me what's going on, and it reminds me I still want to try. So I don't think there's a downside.
#8 - October 24, 2017, 02:12 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Oh good. I don't want to miss out on something good. It'd be pretty funny if they sent out daily words to insert in you ms and each year's crop of Nano books would have a strange combination of unusual words. No, let's not even go there, oh no ... already going down that rabbit hole: http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/gswithenbank/unuwords.htm   but WOW some of these definitions give interesting story ideas. V
#9 - October 24, 2017, 06:09 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Still trying to edit the YA works I started on NaNoWriMo last year! Eeks, do I start yet another project??? 
#10 - October 25, 2017, 09:13 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Karen, why not?? I still don't have a clue as to what I'm going to write...

Vijaya, I've never heard of a single one of those words!! I even googled one to make sure it was legit. It was. :nanana

#11 - October 25, 2017, 12:43 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
JFriday, you will come up with something, the lack of day light is a motivator to force your face into the computer screen :)
That doesn't sound very happy, let me edit that

The waning daylight was an inspiration for Friday to grab a cupa tea and sit by the warm fire and click away at the computer keys.  Her novel arouse slowly but steadily!!

My name is Angelica's Time if anyone wants to befriend me.  Last year I started a novel the previous month and was finishing rough draft and then started another with NaNoWriMo, but couldn't figure out how to put in the word count grrrr.  but still it was a good motivator to write. ..
#12 - October 25, 2017, 05:46 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
I'm in. It will be a wild ride, but what else is happening in November? Besides Thanksgiving, a writing workshop,  beta reads, and directing a cantata. Putting on my big girl panties. Just saying. 
#13 - October 25, 2017, 06:33 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Ha ha ha ha Helen~!~!
#14 - October 25, 2017, 06:52 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Yay! Pulling on those panties, too. And I just came up with my story!! Karen, you were right! It's a MG dragon story (there, now I HAVE to do it) that I played with about 6 months ago. I think I wrote an opening page somewhere, but I'll just start again. It just sort of fell into place as I was sitting by the window (and fireplace - so see, the fireplace came into play, too! ...no fire in it, though...) so I scribbled down some thoughts.
#15 - October 26, 2017, 07:04 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Helen, what is this cantata you're directing? I'm in awe of all you're doing  :bow
I'm trying to clear the plate this month and it helps some of the deadlines are for Nov 1. I'm so grateful Oct has a 31st. LOL.  :catmoon
#16 - October 26, 2017, 10:03 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Karen, I tried to buddy you on the website, but it couldn't find you.  I'm jfriday on there, if you want to add me.

I did see you will be able to see the word count of your buddy; other than that, I'm not sure what it does. Anyone do NaNoWriMo before and know what else happens with buddies??
#17 - October 26, 2017, 10:19 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
Vijaya, I will be directing  the drama elements for our choir's Christmas cantata. It's not until December 20th so I do have a wee bit of breathing room.   :autumn
#18 - October 26, 2017, 02:45 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Wonderful Helen.
#19 - October 26, 2017, 04:05 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
Hi JFriday! The main thing that being buddies does is you can see what word count they're reporting so you can encourage each other along and be inspired by what others are doing.

Karen, I couldn't find you on the site either.
#20 - October 27, 2017, 07:52 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I think I'll throw my hat into the ring.   :jackolantern

I've got an idea I started outlining and this is the time to push forward! (Gulp.)
I may have signed up years back, but didn't really use the site for my writing, just went my own way and if I recall came out okay. I'll be very happy with a first draft to tinker with.  Best to all. I'm heading to the website to check it out.    :star2    :star2           :star2     :star2      Some magic dust to help us out.      :star2
#21 - October 27, 2017, 10:57 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Yay, hairaplenty! We can all do this! (right?? :badidea)
#22 - October 28, 2017, 08:17 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/gswithenbank/unuwords.htm 

What a great website, V. I actually found a word on it I can use - in a silly but useful sort of way.   :grin3

I'm in. I've needed a jump start for a long time. I've got an outline, notes, and back story. I just hate writing the first draft.  I may only complete 500 words a day instead of 1000, but I'm more of a half-marathon kind of person anyway.  :)  I'm better off not signing up on the site, though. Somehow I'm better off without  that extra layer.

See ya'll at the start.
#23 - October 28, 2017, 08:19 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Yay Pons! Wow, what a crew!! 500 words a day is more than most people ever do, so go for it! :star2
#24 - October 28, 2017, 10:22 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Yes! Sometimes I write more, sometimes less. If I beat myself up about it, I stop. I'm a Full-time teacher, so I write in the am(4:30) I do what I can and do not make myself feel bad for doing less if it happens.

:spider  Can't get on the website. But contacted them. I just want to browse around. I'm excited to join you guys on this draft journey.    :sadbye 

:autumn

#25 - October 28, 2017, 11:57 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
getting ready....made some good notes on the story the last two days, and it started coming together! :running

except...then it fell apart.  :shrug

So I'm back to  :umm for most of it, but that's okay, we can do this, right?? Yes we can!
#26 - October 30, 2017, 01:53 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Pons, 500 words/day is a good, steady rate. The first draft is the hardest for me and I'm hoping I can shut up my internal editor and just write.

JFriday, it's funny how a story sounds great until it falls apart. Don't worry, it'll come together. I'm always surprised how much really comes together when I do write because my brain is certainly not all that organized. But it's in the writing itself that the answers lie.

I ran a whole bunch of errands today and ready to collapse but tomorrow I can stay home and make a list--get organized.

I'm so glad that there are several of us here wanting to write a new book! We have another day to clear the decks and off we go!!!
#27 - October 30, 2017, 02:18 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Tomorrow I need to collect all my files and notes and get my head back into the story. Of course, it's Halloween and laundry day, but I still plan to line all my ducks up in a row.
#28 - October 30, 2017, 03:08 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Newbie here -  I actually just discovered the discussion forums. Glad I found this one!

This will be my 2nd attempt at NaNoWriMo and first novel. As a new-ish writer, I've had a hard time making myself to write everyday after/before work, but this time will be different! I have a new plan in place. And even if I don't finish a draft, I'm hoping I can get into a regular habit of writing. I haven't tried finding buddies in the past, so maybe that's the trick. I'm LabGirl on the site, if you want to add me as a buddy.  I'm getting excited and a little nervous! :)
#29 - October 30, 2017, 04:11 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Sandy, just tried to add you as a buddy but there's a glitch at the site; they're working on it. I'm jfriday if you want to try me later.
#30 - October 30, 2017, 04:54 PM

Members: