SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

NaNoWriMo2017

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
Everyone is doing great! I'm plugging right along, slow and steady, but it looks like next week with Thanksgiving, I'll be doing less writing. :turkey2  :applepie  :thanksgiving  But it's Thanksgiving--I'm ready for a full tummy and chillin' with the family.
#121 - November 16, 2017, 04:12 PM
Beyond Suspicion, YA Mystery, Poisoned Pen Press, 2015
http://www.catherineawinnbooks.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Melody, great word count. Pons, congrats on hubby's consulting job! Sandy, it all counts. All of it. Maybe one of them can come up with a special recipe...that'll count, too. And Cathie, I agree. Family trumps word count. Actually, family trumps pretty much anything.

Happy writing to all, whatever gets done!
#122 - November 17, 2017, 05:49 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Okay, I know I have to go back and work this in earlier, but so far I think this is my favorite line in my story:

...and she pulled out a miraculous piece of rope that Providence had placed in her pocket to help with my word count,...
#123 - November 17, 2017, 12:58 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
JFriday, that's perfect!!  :lol5
#124 - November 17, 2017, 01:06 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
...and she pulled out a miraculous piece of rope that Providence had placed in her pocket to help with my word count,...
:lol4  Love it.

I spent the last two days revising a story to submit to a contest whose deadline is today. I'm counting that as writing, but I can't report an increase in word count. I can live with that.  :)
#125 - November 17, 2017, 01:24 PM

Poster Plus
I love this!!!  :yourock  :dr

#126 - November 17, 2017, 02:22 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida

LOL!

You guys are definitely encouraging me to push harder.  Did my highest word count yet today, maybe ever:

3200 words. Woohoo!
#127 - November 17, 2017, 03:43 PM
ROYALLY ENTITLED (inspirational/historical YA) and OOPS-A-DAISY (humorous MG) out now.  http://www.melodydelgado.com/

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Love that line JFriday. No writing today :( but I'm thinking about it. You all are doing great!!!
#128 - November 17, 2017, 04:13 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Glad you liked the line. :crazy Glad you got a laugh, Cathie and Sandy.

Melody, amazing word count! You go, girl!

Pons, I hope you win the contest!!

Vijaya, had I put more thought into mine, maybe my lines would be a little more logical. Hope you are able to think things through.
#129 - November 17, 2017, 06:09 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
1300 total on my new chapter in my old book. SO much easier to rewrite/revise rather than a 1st draft.

:flame
#130 - November 19, 2017, 01:18 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
JFriday, I hadn't read your post before. HAHA.  Let's all grab a piece of miraculous rope. (BTW your story sounds fun.) Every time I have to mention where my main character moved from, I write (That place) because I haven't decided where he's from, yet, and I don't want to slow my pace down. Whatever it takes!
Melody, you're a Rock Star  :goldstar 
Cathie, somehow I invited people to Thanksgiving Dinner at my place. I've been cleaning like a mad woman and perusing the Food Network.
Yesterday I wrote 473. Today? Not yet. It's only 5:00 am.
#131 - November 20, 2017, 04:59 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
hairaplenty, I need several more coils of that miraculous rope. I'm running on idea fumes at this point and it's not pretty.

I realized I switched a couple of minor characters' names, and I just kept going. I really really really hope no one ever reads this. :huh

Hope everyone meets whatever goals they have this week!
#132 - November 20, 2017, 11:53 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Also on fumes over here but not nearly as far along as you, JFriday! Now I'm just making up background stories for every character, building, agency, plant, etc. One of my main characters is still named CockyBoy because I haven't committed to a name yet. I have to admit that I'm still enjoying this world I've created though...and the extensive background of the edible Flulilies.  :flowers2

Happy writing, everyone!
#133 - November 20, 2017, 01:25 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Sandy, I laughed out loud at CockyBoy! Love it! And edible Flulilies? Oh, I'm hooked!!

And don't be impressed with my word count. I'm just trying to get this finished! You're right on target for finishing by the end of the month, as are the more sane people.

I've learned I write much better when I don't have a word count goal, particularly a massive one, hanging over my head. Instead of having the story unfolding to a good conclusion as my goal, the number becomes my goal. And the story suffers terribly. I mean as in stupendously, completely, awfully terribly.

I'm sure there are writers who excel under a number goal, but I'm not one of them. Lesson learned.
#134 - November 21, 2017, 08:48 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Sharing another line which shows great literary genius:

Shel picked up another pitchfork which was conveniently leaning against the side of the door, apparently unaffected by the high winds, and started to help.

No one can ever, ever look at this. Ever.
#135 - November 21, 2017, 09:38 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Sharing another line which shows great literary genius:

Shel picked up another pitchfork which was conveniently leaning against the side of the door, apparently unaffected by the high winds, and started to help.

No one can ever, ever look at this. Ever.

:lol4 I feel the same way about my draft: no one can ever read it, but it is actually getting me to a better place. (I hope.)

#136 - November 21, 2017, 10:00 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
 :lol5. I am really stuck over here. I think I'm getting too focused on my word count. My goal this weekend is to get back to enjoying the story and worrying less about the deadline. I'm mostly finished with work this week so I'm hoping I can relax, write, and read for the next 4 days. Oh, and eat pie.   :applepie
#137 - November 22, 2017, 06:26 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Sandy, I totally got focused on word count and I've never had such awful writing. So I think you have an excellent plan. Besides, when you focus on and enjoy the story, that's when the writing flows.

I hope everyone enjoys their pie!! :applepie
#138 - November 23, 2017, 09:44 AM

Poster Plus
Just popped in to say Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I'm stuffed and so ready to nap! Hopefully, I'll be hitting the keyboard tomorrow.

Hairaplenty, hope the mad cleaning frenzy and food prep weren't too stressful and  you are basking in lots of praise!
JFriday and Sandy --Yay, pie!  :applepie
#139 - November 23, 2017, 01:24 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Oh, yeah, NaNoWriMo.   ::)
#140 - November 24, 2017, 06:44 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal

This is me, too. I'm a week behind from Thanksgiving, but ready to get back in the saddle again today.   :whitebunny  Onward and Upward!
#141 - November 25, 2017, 08:57 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas

Me three. But I'm :cheerleader all of you who are working diligently.
#142 - November 25, 2017, 09:23 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Less than a week to go. I hope everyone is satisfied with whatever they reach.  :star2 :star2
#143 - November 25, 2017, 12:52 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I failed miserably at the word count, but have taken this month to delve into my novel/plot and characters. I jumped in with both feet and really had no idea where I was going, so I've taken some time to figure out what this book is going to be about.
Plus, I've rewritten a lot on my completed novel, so I call November a win. I think we're all winners!   :goldstar
#144 - November 25, 2017, 08:33 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Hairaplenty, you have won. Kudos for you. I've done well with word count but that's all I focused on, so my plot, characters, story arc, setting - you name it - failed. So we balance each other. :greatminds

And we all have more than we had a month ago. And there's still more time. So I agree, we're all winners. :goldstar
#145 - November 26, 2017, 08:20 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I agree, we've all won. We have all explored ideas that were not around one month ago.  I set out to prove to myself that I could follow through on 50,000 words and I just finished. My goal was to write everyday and prove to myself that I can do this while working full-time. I fell in love with the world I created and most of my characters (even if only 1/3 of them have names right now). It's a skeleton draft, but I didn't expect it to be more than that. I can't wait to start revisions after the first of the year.  Now I just have to type all those handwritten pages...if only I could skip that part.  :typing

I hope everyone reaches their goals or at least has fun trying! Thanks to everyone and I'm still cheering for all of you!  :stars3

#146 - November 26, 2017, 11:54 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
 :autumn     :autumn   Heaping piles of congratulatory autumn leaves on you SandyM. You did it!
#147 - November 26, 2017, 12:56 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Sandy :congratulations Knowing you can do what you set out to do is such a great feeling. And now you have some great habits to draw upon. It's so important to do hard things once in a while.

And to all who are meeting their goals, :congratulations

Alas, I did not meet my goals at all, so that's a fail. You'd think after making a proper outline I'd make progress but I've been too sick :bluesad  I hope I can have a complete draft by the end of the year.
#148 - November 26, 2017, 05:59 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Wow!  :congratulations  Sandy. That is monumental. Hats off to you!

I won't meet my original goal of 500 words/day, but I did accomplish the bigger goal of getting over starting-the-rough-draft dread. I will end up six chapters into my new ms and that is enough encouragement to keep me going. November has been a plus for me.
#149 - November 26, 2017, 07:18 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Vijaya, so sorry to hear you've been sick. I hope you're feeling better. Everything is awful when we're sick. I hope you can finish that draft.

Pons, glad you started that rough draft!

And Sandy, Congratulations!!! :running

I've reached 50K too, so I made my goal, but as I said, it's awful writing. Maybe I can salvage something from it, even if the story takes a completely different direction.

There are, after all, dragons in it.  :dragonchase
#150 - November 27, 2017, 07:59 AM

Members: