SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Keeping It Short-The Abbreviation.

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
This month for my SCBWI Ireland blog on the blueboards I concentrated on "Art of Grammar" board and its relevance, which I suppose we could say is consistently evolving. This got me thinking about all aspects of the area of grammar and the way it is reflected in modern writing. Abbreviations are everywhere and reflect quite often the way in which society converse.
In essence: Do you think abbreviations have overtaken and how do you feel about shortened terms like "LOL" or "OMG"?
I'd really appreciate your own opinion and what you think the general consensus between writers.
Thank you (as always).
TE. :help2 :thankyou2
#1 - November 02, 2017, 08:46 AM

Poster Plus
Disclaimer: I don't have a smartphone and have never sent a text....so I don't have a good sense of all the abbreviations, nor do I encounter them on a regular basis. With that said, I do understand their place. I get the time, convenience, and character-saving value of abbreviations.

Still - much to the chagrin of those on the receiving end of my emails, I suspect - I don't use them, myself. And when I see unfamiliar abbreviations, it's a bit of an inconvenience because I then must pause to decipher, which is usually unsuccessful and results in Googling.

BUT, to answer your question, I don't think abbreviations have yet taken over. Perhaps if I texted or were on Twitter or Facebook and such I'd see them more, but it's really not been a problem.

Best wishes on your article, Fiona! I'm interested to learn what others will say.
#2 - November 02, 2017, 03:51 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I don't have a smartphone either, but I have had reason to text my teen. Without a Smartphone, abbreviations in texts are imperative. (I also don't know how to fix typos on my phone.) But they have not taken over and they won't, at least not all of them.

Here's an example: Three-dimensional printer. I almost never see that. The hyphen has even been dropped from the abbreviation by most people. That one has replaced the spelled out words.

LOL hasn't. I suspect this is because the phrase laugh out loud was never a thing. No one used to type that. LOL was the thing by itself. It's uses are also only informal. It won't move into formal language. It has no place in an essay on 3D printers.
#3 - November 02, 2017, 08:55 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Thanks.
I merely wanted to gain an opinion on how you felt about the style in which our target generation speaks.
Regardless, I will continue with writing about that board as best I can: to inform others on the SCBWI Ireland blog that writers should feel free to query about such subjects and receive an opinion from others on any insecurities relating to grammar.
That's my aim. I'm still very insecure about blogging and want to stay true to the blueboards.
Thanks.
#4 - November 03, 2017, 07:04 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I don't think they all speak and write that way all the time. I know it won't get them jobs. We were pretty into slang too. There's is just different.

I think you're doing fine with the blogging, btw.
#5 - November 03, 2017, 08:42 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Thanks, Debbie.
I know I am merely informing those who might interested in learning about the BB through my perspective and experience here. But I don't want to appear deadpan either. That's not the image to portray to such a great resource for authors and illustrators.
#6 - November 04, 2017, 07:40 AM

I'm all for using the occasional acronym in informal chat via messageboards, messenger, text etc. Until this very post, I don't think I've ever typed out the words Et cetera before. It makes me cringe however, when somebody says "L-O-L" out loud though.

There's definitely a danger of generational confusion though. I've seen numerous anecdotes of parents thinking LOL means lot's of love, and sending messages such as "I'm sorry love but your Gran just died. LOL", and then feeling horrified when the meaning of what they `really` just wrote is explained to them.
#7 - November 11, 2017, 03:23 PM
Oliver Piotrowski

Rhyming Chapter Book - Critique Request
https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?topic=85240.0

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
There's definitely a danger of generational confusion though. I've seen numerous anecdotes of parents thinking LOL means lot's of love, and sending messages such as "I'm sorry love but your Gran just died. LOL", and then feeling horrified when the meaning of what they `really` just wrote is explained to them.

:dr
#8 - November 11, 2017, 04:33 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
:dr

I admit I thought that myself on several occasions. Possibly one of the reasons why I don't abbreviate unless I have to.
Regardless, I decided against this topic for this month. I'll possibly address it in the new year.
Thanks for your input, thought. Much appreciated.
TE
#9 - November 12, 2017, 05:26 AM

Members: