SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

The Horror

Discussion started on

Some days I awaken with my head full of horrors: the Holocaust.

It does not lessen, does not go away.

Nor do I wish it to.
#1 - November 02, 2017, 09:37 AM
SurfYourOwnMind.com, children's creativity blog currently in development.

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Gatz you are not alone. The holocaust will never go away. We owe it to those who lost their lives to never, ever forget.
#2 - November 02, 2017, 11:36 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
Gatz you are not alone. The holocaust will never go away. We owe it to those who lost their lives to never, ever forget.

This.
#3 - November 02, 2017, 03:37 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
I live with it every day but it is more of a background wave of consciousness than a headline or tickertape.
I'm a child of a sole survivor, and there is a black hole where that side of the family should have been.
#4 - November 02, 2017, 03:48 PM
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing Aug 2012
THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520 July 2011

www.mirkabreen.com
http://mirkabreen.BlogSpot.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
We must remember. We must recognize the context, historical and otherwise, so we don't forget it came from a bigger picture. Never forgetting is not enough if we lose vigilance. We must also say never again. We must honor the lost through prevention as best we can.
#5 - November 02, 2017, 09:02 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Gatz, I can't say I awaken to the horrors like you but yes, atrocities are never to be forgotten. Nov bring "Remembrance Day" here in Canada (Veterans Day in the US) and I use that day to mark and remember not just our own, our soldiers who fought and died, but also all of the civilians that lost their lives because of war. From London during the blitz, to Hiroshima, the people of Vietnam and Korea and yes, absolute horror of the Holocaust. I like that it's called Remembrance Day, we need to remember.

Mirka, I'm so sorry for your loss.
#6 - November 03, 2017, 03:14 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Thanks, everyone. Your thoughts are comforting and I agree, we must never forget.

Mirka, I am very sorry. Although I don't know you or any other survivors,  about ten years ago I was at the home of Jewish friends. They showed me a scrapbook with some photos of the wife’s grandparents in Germany in the mid-1930s. They still had their house, a nice middle class home with the prettiest flowers. A color photo.

The house was taken by the Nazis shortly after Kristallnacht, I think, and they left Germany, in time. This photo particularly filled me with sadness, to think that a family’s beloved home could just be taken from them with no justification by a bunch of government-sanctioned sociopaths.

Best, Gatz
#7 - November 03, 2017, 09:19 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Gatz, I show the movie NIGHT AND FOG (which is in French, and subtitled; 31 min) in class. It's incredibly difficult to watch--I had to watch it four times before I was sure I wouldn't cry in class. It's worth watching--really, everyone should see it. I think the director's name was Resnais.
#8 - November 03, 2017, 12:41 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
My FIL lost everyone except one brother. On my MIL's side, many died, and some cousins eventually went to Israel. Husband's uncle for years wouldn't talk about it. In the 90s a journalist interviewed him for a book of Holocaust anecdotes, and he finally was able to talk to us.

What I'm trying to say is, it's important to get survivors to talk about it (when they're ready to), and important to write it down. History that is forgotten can too easily be repeated.
#9 - November 03, 2017, 12:56 PM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
Kristallnacht is coming in the next week.

My own family was all in the US by the time of WWII, but my husband's family is Polish/German non-Jews. They also lost much during the war. Uncles who were in law enforcement and didn't support the cause disappeared. The family was forced to move. And what the Russians did to his aunt (possibly aunt and mother, I'm not clear on details) as part of the liberation left physical and psychological wounds.

Another good movie on the topic is Genocide. We watched it in high school. Because while we say never forget and never again, we must act to ensure that genocide will no longer be a thing. After all, it has happened again. The scale simply hasn't been so global or publicized.
#10 - November 03, 2017, 08:40 PM

Barbara and Debbie and Mirka,

It is so heartwrenching to read about your loved ones. I'm so sorry.

I don't know whether the Germans murdered any of my distant relatives in Slovakia, but Slovaks in my grandparents' region (they left for the U.S. after World War I) revolted against Nazi occupation at one point and the Nazis murdered thousands in retaliation.

Gatz
#11 - November 03, 2017, 09:14 PM

Dews and Damps,

Thanks for making me aware of NIGHT AND FOG.

I want to see it, although I was only able to watch the first half of Schindler's List and had to turn it off. It gave me nightmares which I have continued to have, occasionally, for twenty years.

Gatz
#12 - November 03, 2017, 09:19 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
Suffering is built into life, isn't it? But the suffering caused by people's choice to inflict upon others is hard to accept. Maybe we never should.
And yet, it's ongoing. There is no part of recorded human history that is free of needless human cruelty.

Gatz, maybe if there is a way to use the sorrow you feel to help someone, It would be a drop in the bucket but drop by drop and the bucket will fill.
#13 - November 03, 2017, 10:22 PM
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing Aug 2012
THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520 July 2011

www.mirkabreen.com
http://mirkabreen.BlogSpot.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Ordered Night and Fog from the library.
It's beyond understanding and reason, really. How humans can do this to other humans. It's like a whole group of sociopaths got together. No empathy, compassion or feelings. Very scary. And Debbie is right, these things continue to happen though not as publicized.
217mom, so sorry. Questions never answered.   
#14 - November 04, 2017, 07:58 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
217Mom is right. Gatz, you are an author. Use that voice. Write letters to help prevent such atrocities from continuing. There are a number of organizations that support human rights that would appreciate any help they can get. Let those nightmares prevent someone from living one by becoming your call to action.
#15 - November 05, 2017, 07:52 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Suffering is built into life, isn't it? But the suffering caused by people's choice to inflict upon others is hard to accept. Maybe we never should.
And yet, it's ongoing. There is no part of recorded human history that is free of needless human cruelty.

True. I've seen suffering but it was inconceivable to me to read about man's inhumanity to man on such a scale. I was 10 when I read The Diary of Anne Frank and learned what happened to her at the end of the book. It shook me to my core. I lost my faith. For years and years I tried to read everything I could about the Jewish holocaust and I still don't understand it and I don't think I ever will while on earth.

One friend is the child of two holocaust survivors. The sorrow extends through the generations because of the missing branches of the family tree. Gone, just like that. It was reading Schindler's List and Kindertransport stories that made me have hope in humanity again. And then there's Corrie ten Boom's Hiding Place that helped me in my journey back to faith. I am grateful for all the stories.
#16 - November 05, 2017, 08:07 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Dews and Damps,

Thanks for making me aware of NIGHT AND FOG.

I want to see it, although I was only able to watch the first half of Schindler's List and had to turn it off. It gave me nightmares which I have continued to have, occasionally, for twenty years.

Gatz

Gatz, please consider not watching Night and Fog. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to watch it. (I realize I'm the idiot who brought it up.) Except for a few shots of abandoned camps at the beginning and end of the film, it's all footage shot by the Nazis, and it's real--no actors, right? Much of it is showing atrocities. It starts a little slow, and you think you'll be okay, and then, WHAM. And you can't unsee it.

I saw a video clip of unfathomable torture (by accident--certainly wasn't looking for it; not WWII) maybe twenty years ago and I'd give quite a bit to unsee it. I default to seeing it again in random moments, and I know this sounds odd, but I think it gave me a little PTSD. You sound like a sensitive person, and Night and Fog is so extreme that I would urge you to really think it through. Empathy and education are one thing; damaging your mental health is another.   :hug

#17 - November 05, 2017, 10:44 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Members: