SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Submission Question

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
I am trying to place a YA short story and have sent it to a magazine. I want to send it a few more places. I recently learned about a call for submissions that seems appropriate, but the publisher does not accept simultaneous submissions. Have you submitted simultaneously to a publication that takes only exclusives? Or what do you recommend?
Many thanks!
#1 - November 07, 2017, 09:01 PM

Poster Plus
Oh, ems, it's a bummer when publishers require exclusives..... That said, I haven't submitted simultaneously to a publication that only takes exclusives.

As I see it, you have a couple options:

1. Since you already have your story out, you might consider sending it to the other places that accept sim. subs and, once their response times have elapsed, send it to the exclusive publisher. (Ideally, it will be accepted, making waiting for everyone moot!!!) This option would be my vote.

2. This choice is much less ideal..... If timing is of the essence (like if the call for submissions with the exclusive place is only until November 30, but the wait time for the publisher considering it now is eight weeks), you could withdraw it from where it is now and send it to the exclusive IF it really seems like a perfect fit. This is a bit tricky, as withdrawing is typically only done when another offer has been made or if a publisher asks to hold something....but takes too long to make a decision. Publishers probably don't appreciate withdrawals and might be less apt to give future work serious consideration.  Plus, it could happen that your story doesn't get picked up by the exclusive and you'd wish it had been fully considered by the publisher from whom you withdrew it.

If you go with Option #1, the wait might seem less painful if you immerse yourself in writing the next great short story - - or stories!!

Best wishes, ems!
#2 - November 08, 2017, 05:40 AM
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 06:00 AM by carrots »

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Gosh, there aren't a whole lot of places for short YA fiction and some of them take months to respond so I'd go ahead and submit to the publisher who wants an exclusive letting them know it's a simultaneous sub. If you get an acceptance from one, immediately withdraw it from the others.

Good luck, Vijaya
#3 - November 08, 2017, 09:30 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
Gosh, there aren't a whole lot of places for short YA fiction and some of them take months to respond so I'd go ahead and submit to the publisher who wants an exclusive letting them know it's a simultaneous sub. If you get an acceptance from one, immediately withdraw it from the others.

Good luck, Vijaya

I didn't even think of the option to submit to the exclusive publisher and tell them it's simultaneous! Great idea!!
#4 - November 08, 2017, 09:41 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I second what Vijaya said.  As long as you're upfront about it, it's not a huge deal.

AM

#5 - November 08, 2017, 10:43 AM
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
VAMPIRINA AT THE BEACH (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
If they ask for exclusives only, they might reject out of hand, but it's still what I'd do if you can't wait.
#6 - November 30, 2017, 08:47 PM

Members: