SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Sparkhouse Family PB Contest

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
I'm interrupting this month's novel-writing with news of a PB contest that ends November 17!!

Open to both published and unpublished writers, the contest prize is $5,000 (yes, that many zeros!) and the opportunity for publication with Sparkhouse Family. News that's almost as good: the winner will be notified on December 15!! (I'm not sure when the contest began, but a four week wait makes learning about it now a bit of consolation....)

Here are the particulars:

https://sparkhousefamily.submittable.com/submit/92935/sparkhouse-family-picture-book-writing-contest-2017?utm_content=60228596&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

I sent mine. Anbody want to join me?

:stars3 :stars3 :stars3

#1 - November 10, 2017, 11:16 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
One of my friends won it last year and her book comes out Spring of 2018 I think!

Good luck!
#2 - November 10, 2017, 11:26 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Thank you for this Carrots!!!

Deb, how wonderful!!!
#3 - November 10, 2017, 11:47 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I subbed a few weeks ago. Fingers crossed for the SCBWI Peeps! :love5 :stars3
#4 - November 10, 2017, 12:10 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
Oh, this is tempting. I only have one MS that could work for this, though, and I'll have to see if I can get it in shape by then.
#5 - November 10, 2017, 08:29 PM

Coming Soon: Beep! Beep! Special Delivery
Poster Plus
Good luck, everyone! I have a book coming out with Sparkhouse and they're wonderful to work with!

Della
#6 - November 11, 2017, 02:09 AM
How Will I Ever Sleep in This Bed? / Hey! You're Eating My Homework / Picnic on the Sidewalk / Beep! Beep! Special Delivery 2018 / Precious Baby 2019

Poster Plus
Oh, Della, it's because of you that I learned of the contest! I'd not known of Sparkhouse Family before reading your Good News post. Once I visited their site and looked at their beautiful offerings, I knew I wanted to work with them, too.

So, thank you, Della!! And best, best wishes to all!!

:stars3 :cheerleader :stars3  :cheerleader :stars3

#7 - November 11, 2017, 04:48 AM

Poster Plus
Aw, that's nice of you, carrots.  :hug I have a critique partner who entered last year. She didn't win  the contest, but they loved her story and will publish it for Christmas. So there's more than one way to 'win.'   :yippee

:star2    :star2    :star2  <-----  My Sparkhouse cheer for all!  :love5
#8 - November 11, 2017, 04:57 AM
How Will I Ever Sleep in This Bed? / Hey! You're Eating My Homework / Picnic on the Sidewalk / Beep! Beep! Special Delivery 2018 / Precious Baby 2019

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Della, your good news is giving us all so much hope and may it multiply  :love5 :love5 :love5
Carrots, thank you for sharing.  Good luck to all!!!  :stars3 :stars3 :stars3
#9 - November 11, 2017, 08:19 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
Entered! Thanks, carrots! And good luck to all.
#10 - November 11, 2017, 01:00 PM
My Australia - National Library of Australia (April 2018)
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink (August 2018)

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Poster Plus
You're so welcome!

:grouphug2

#11 - November 11, 2017, 01:36 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Don't forget that entries for this contest must be manuscripts you've never subbed anywhere else--not to any publishers, agents, or other contests.
#12 - November 11, 2017, 06:08 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Don't forget that entries for this contest must be manuscripts you've never subbed anywhere else--not to any publishers, agents, or other contests.

Wow, I didn't see that. I saw that the manuscript had to be unagented, but I didn't realize that this would rule out manuscripts that had been rejected by an agent or publishing house.
#13 - November 11, 2017, 07:39 PM

Poster Plus

Ev,
I went back to the specifications but didn't see that mentioned.   From what I saw, "All submitted works must be finished, previously unpublished manuscripts" and "only unagented submissions are eligible," but I didn't see anywhere that the ms couldn't have been subbed elsewhere. 

I think it would be a courtesy not to simultaneously submit it elsewhere , but it doesn't even specify that.

Della
#14 - November 12, 2017, 04:54 PM

As long as you don't have an agent  and the PB hasn't been published elsewhere, you can submit.  This is from the contest rules:  "All submitted works must be finished, previously unpublished manuscripts of 1,000 words or less. The contest is open to new, upcoming, and established writers alike, but only unagented submissions are eligible." 
#15 - November 12, 2017, 05:49 PM
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 05:53 PM by LIMAMA »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I submitted my MS last night! Thanks again for sharing this information, Carrots!

And good luck to everyone who is entering. :goodluck
#16 - November 14, 2017, 09:55 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Sorry. I hate to contradict Limama, but when you're submitting to the contest you have to agree to Terms of Use.  Under 3b vi it says:

vi. The manuscript must NOT have been previously published; and the manuscript must NOT have been previously submitted to any third party for any purpose (including, without limitation, to any publisher, entertainment entity or other third party, or in any other contest or promotion), and will not be submitted to any other third party until the winner in this Contest is announced

I think it's a totally stupid rule to have, but it's there, so if you're submitting you're saying that's true about your story.
#17 - November 14, 2017, 02:17 PM
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:20 PM by Ev »

Poster Plus
Oh, dear.    :embarrassed2

When I read the Terms of Use on the day of my entry, I only saw up to the following line: 3.   HOW TO ENTER. There is only one way to enter the Contest, as described below

Nothing below that was visible to me. I tried clicking it any number of ways to read the rest, but gave up, believing I already understood. Clearly, I did not. (sob, because the story I sent seemed like such a great fit....)   :spaz

Very regrettably, my entry has been submitted elsewhere in the past, though is not currently under consideration.... Not wanting to go to Submittable to withdraw my entry without first explaining why, I sent an email to Sparkhouse Family, letting them know of my error.

I also apologize to anyone else who entered without knowledge of this important detail. (And thank Ev for bringing the truth to light! It's a disappointing truth, to be sure, but it's their rule. And it would have been even more painful if someone had won...and then gotten disqualified.)

Perhaps error entries like mine might still be considered as general submissions, even though they don't qualify as contest entries.....

Best wishes, all!!

:hug

#18 - November 14, 2017, 03:14 PM

Poster Plus
Yikes! That is very limiting. Thanks for delving deeper, Ev.  :hi5
#19 - November 14, 2017, 04:29 PM

I stand corrected but what a stupid rule.  Every time I clicked on the link and tried to read other rules, I got nothing.
#20 - November 14, 2017, 07:18 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Carrots, I'll be curious to see if they answer your note because it is a stupid rule. It limits what they see. I can understand why they wouldn't want something that was currently out, but not why it having been rejected elsewhere would matter. Please let us know if you hear from them.
#21 - November 14, 2017, 08:37 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
It is a confusing rule. I'd also like to know the response you get from the publisher. After each rejection, I revise my material before sending it out again. The next version is often very different from the last. To me, it is new material.
#22 - November 15, 2017, 07:42 AM
Laura Boldin-Fournier
lauraboldin.com
AN ORANGUTAN'S NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS Pelican 2016

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
This is a silly rule and I wonder if they have forgotten it's in their Terms of Use, because in 3a it says "text only without pictures", but the contest rules say writers can send pictures, but they aren't required. This happens with agents, too. They set up their websites and then life moves on. They change a guideline or two but forget to update their websites.  It's too bad it's so close to the deadline. I have a ms that I think fits their theme, but I did submit it a couple times a few years ago. Under their Terms of Use I can't submit it to them.
#23 - November 15, 2017, 08:48 AM
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:09 PM by Pons »

Poster Plus
Oh, Pons, I so hope you're right about this rule maybe being part of old policy that no longer applies.....

And, yes, I'll definitely let you all know if I receive a reply.

#24 - November 15, 2017, 11:41 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Best of luck, Carrots.  :star2
#25 - November 15, 2017, 12:11 PM

Poster Plus
After each rejection, I revise my material before sending it out again. The next version is often very different from the last. To me, it is new material.

You make a great point, Laura!!! By that standard, my manuscript definitely was "new"!!!

#26 - November 15, 2017, 12:29 PM

Poster Plus
****************** :newsflash  :newsflash :newsflash :newsflash :newsflash :newsflash  ********************

I checked in with my editor at Sparkhouse and she got back right away to clarify:

"That clause is really more about no simultaneous submissions than anything else. We don’t want to be considering a book that’s currently under consideration elsewhere, and that might get a publishing offer while we’re considering.

But if they've submitted to other publishers in the past and been turned down, feel free to submit to us."

So there you go! That was my hunch, but now we've heard the official word. No simultaneous submissions, but otherwise, feel free to submit.   :yup  And reminder that tomorrow's the deadline.

Della  :star2

(Sorry for the excessive 'Newsflashes' lol, but I wanted to get everyone's attention. lol )

#27 - November 16, 2017, 08:01 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
That's great news for everyone! So happy that they clarified it to you!!!!!
#28 - November 16, 2017, 08:03 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Thanks for the update, Della. That is great news.   :stars3
#29 - November 16, 2017, 08:19 AM

Poster Plus
Oh, Della, this update brightens up my day considerably!!! Thank you SO much!!! I can go back to being hopeful!!!

:thankyou :thankyou :thankyou :cheerleader :thankyou :thankyou :thankyou
#30 - November 16, 2017, 12:50 PM

Members: