SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

format of PB manuscript

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I apologize in advance, as I feel this is probably covered somewhere, but can someone point me in the direction to a visual example to show how to format a PB manuscript when someone is talking. My struggle is if  3 characters answer a question back to back, is the beginning of each quote indented?

Also, I know the publisher will figure out page breaks but do I put in ANY space between lines to break up story?

Thank you in advance.
#1 - December 27, 2017, 04:52 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Hi Rebecca,

Not sure there's a hard and fast rule on this one, but my take is yes, each line is indented. So...

Narration narration narration
     "Yes!" says Duck.
      "No!" says Chicken.
      "Maybe?" says Goose.

As to part 2 of your question, I put in extra blank lines if I want to emphasize sections of my manuscript, not necessarily page breaks.

This help?

Jody

#2 - December 27, 2017, 05:02 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
You can also have unknown people speak by using quotation marks and no tags. See below for what is a more middle grade feeling example.

... ."  The new supposed king finished his speech.
         "Get out of here!"
          "That guy's crazy!"
          "I'm not following him."
          The last line came from somewhere near me. I didn't disagree, but I wasn't sure it would be that simple.

To make the text feel simultaneous.
       ... ."  The new supposed king finished his speech.
         "Get out of here!" came from the other side of the crowd. Others yelled, "That guy's crazy!" and  "I'm not following him."
#3 - December 27, 2017, 06:29 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Thank you both for the insight!
#4 - December 27, 2017, 07:36 PM

Members: