SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

LJ User Pics

Discussion started on

Ok, I'm really getting sick of looking at my own mug and I like how everyone has special userpics for different posts. But where do you get them from? And what are the "rules" for using pics found on the internet?
#1 - April 11, 2008, 07:46 PM
PRINCESS FOR HIRE Out now!
SEAN GRISWOLD'S HEAD (Bloomsbury, March 2011)
THE ROYAL TREATMENT (Hyperion, May 2011)

There are lots of icon communities in livejournal related to television shows, books, etc.  If you do a livejournal interest search on your favourite shows et al, often icon communities will come up in the results.  Actually, try an LJ interest search for icons and I'm sure you'll find icon making/sharing/giving communities.  These communities often have rules about usage (must be attributed, must comment and let the icon maker know that you're using them).

People use movie and television stills pretty freely around LJ.  Also, lots of movie sites have pre-made icons for fans (usually AIM buddy icons but maybe there are some around with LJ icons) on their websites, so if you have a fav recent movie you could google the official website and see if there are any to snag.  There are lots of images that are in the public domain, if you google search public domain images.  If you admire the work of a certain artist that is living etc and you want to use it, it's always advisable to ask them for persmission.  Many artists will  state their policies about using their images in icons on websites as well.

ALSO, be aware of the Creative Commons license.  If you look through flickr (flickr might be a great resource) and see a picture you like, check the license.  LOTS of images are useable if they fall under the right license (sharealike, attribution). The keyword and comment fields in the userpic section make it possible for all userpics to be properly attributed.

http://creativecommons.org/about/license/

Hope that helps!
#2 - April 11, 2008, 08:01 PM

Sure does, courtney. Thanks!
#3 - April 11, 2008, 08:14 PM

Live, Love Books!
Poster Plus
Good question, Lindsey. I was thinking about this, too.
#4 - April 11, 2008, 08:41 PM
www.JessicaBurkhartBlog.com
@JessicaBurkhart * IG: @jessashley87

If you search "book icons" or something like that in LJ, there are a few communities that do cute icons of fave characters, bookjackets, people reading, libraries etc. that might give you good ideas.  You can either use those (generally you just have to comment that you are taking, and acknowledge the maker in your icon library by saying "from so-and-so") -- or you can get ideas, and make your own.

For example, I made an entire "mood icon" set out of anne of green gables stills I found on google image search.  I don't use them so much anymore, but it was a fun experiment making them.
#5 - April 12, 2008, 01:01 AM
twitter: @literaticat
ask the agent: http://literaticat.tumblr.com/ask

So how do you know if a pic you find via google is alright to use on an icon?
#6 - April 12, 2008, 12:16 PM

iansands

I think special user pics should be reserved for the more aesthetically challenged.

(They may also borrow my technique which was to make sure the camera was far enough away :)

ian
#7 - April 12, 2008, 12:33 PM

Members: