SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Recommendations on Silly Poetry

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Hi,

I've always loved 'nonsense-verse'.  However, outside of Shel Silverstein and my childhood favourite Dennis Lee (is he known outside of Canada?) I don't really know where to look.  Please hit me with your recommendations if you got 'em!
#1 - December 05, 2017, 11:18 AM
You can learn more about my 1st book here: http://scratchgarden.com/book/

Poster Plus
Congratulations on Semicolons, Cupcakes, and Cucumbers, Steve!! I just saw it over at The Innovation Press and made a note to check it out!! What a clever premise!!

As for good nonsense-verse poets, have you read anything by Jack Prelutsky? Here's his website: http://jackprelutsky.com .

Enjoy your pursuit of nonsense!!

:carrot
#2 - December 05, 2017, 01:25 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Seuss has a bit of nonsense verse in his picture books. Otherwise, I go back to Alice in Wonderland.
#3 - December 05, 2017, 06:17 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
I was chatting about just this thing with a B&N bookseller a month ago--and can't remember the title that she put in my hand.  :faint So sorry. But if you went to a large bookstore, I'll bet you could find a section.

If you're thinking about writing a book of poetry for MG, I'll say that my impression was that the poems were fairly short--lots of four liners, and there were more of them than I'd have guessed. It was heavily illustrated, as you'd imagine. Not sure how helpful that is...
 :goodluck
#4 - December 06, 2017, 10:30 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
This is a bit of a tangent, but if you are just looking for reading of silly poetry for fun and not as "mentor texts" Ed Decaria does a March Madness Poetry contest most years and "authletes" have less than 48 hours to write a kid's poem with an assigned random word. Many of the poems are quite silly and totally fun, and many are stunning in imagery and you would be surprised that they were written in such a short time frame. Last year he renamed it Madness! Poetry. Here is a link to his website if you'd like to check out the poems in the competition.

https://madnesspoetry.com/

And you if you like writing silly poetry, you should totally apply to compete next year!
#5 - December 07, 2017, 06:52 AM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
Spike Milligan has some.
#6 - December 09, 2017, 06:44 PM
My Australia - National Library of Australia (April 2018)
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink (August 2018)

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Members: