SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Need feedback on illustration portfolio please

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Hi, I was wondering if anyone would care to take a look at my site at:

www.christopherhillustration.com

As always, it’s a work in progress. I just feel like my style has evolved a lot in the last year and I don’t know if my portfolio even works anymore

#1 - December 05, 2017, 12:04 PM
Books & Cats & Cups of Tea.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Hi Christopher! It's definitely a challenge to keep a portfolio updated when your work/skills/style are rapidly changing/evolving. I assume the Sherlock Holmes stuff is the newest - they are fantastic. Especially the first one.  As you work on new illustrations, keep pushing the poses for action/expression as you have in the first Sherlock illustration. (The other 2 are good but I think you could have pushed it a bit more. Like the dogs tail down could have been tucked a bit more/hiding a bit more to really show he's afraid of the ghost.) I really like all the details - the portraits on the wall & the wallpaper designs, etc.

The Sherlock series differs greatly in style with the next image, Hiking. Definitely a different style. Hiking has some lovely texture & nice elements. If you want to have both styles in your portfolio, have enough of each style to show consistency and that you are able to deliver in both styles. You could even consider marrying the two styles at some point in the future - taking your favourite elements from both... I don't think style needs to be static but you do need to get a bit more new stuff in there to strengthen your portfolio. 10 is a good number but just 5 really strong illustrations in a consistent style would be a great start.

There are quite a few illustrations that don't show up in the portfolio, but the titles are there.

The dog spot is fine. But I think the rest that follow are older work that are not as strong. You could redo them in your new/improved style. The portraits are more suitable for your sketchbook page as they aren't telling a story or anything.
#2 - December 06, 2017, 06:07 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Thank you for taking the time to have a look at my portfolio, I really appreciate the constructive comments :)

The stuff at the beginning is the newer stuff, yes. It's also my natural style. The 'hiking' stuff was done for a specific project and so it was different to anything else I have drawn. I am still developing my color work as it is newer to me and so I hope to produce work with my own style but introducing the more textured way of coloring.

I keep toying with taking some actual courses to try to speed up my development a little rather than just trying to teach myself.

I'm really not sure why some of the pictures are taking longer to load. They are all there but some take ages... I'll have to look into it
#3 - December 07, 2017, 09:21 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Hmmm. It doesn't show as loading...

I signed up for a subscription to SVSLearn - the subscription is very reasonable & gives you access to loads of great courses including ones specific to digital illustration. You can find lots of info online for free but having someone reliable curate the info &/ translate it into understandable bits/exercises is worth the $$. Other than that practice practice practice/explore.

I also found watching Will Terry's critique videos on YouTube very helpful.
#4 - December 08, 2017, 04:42 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Thank you for the tip about Will Terry. I have been listening to a lot of his stuff just while drawing or going about my day and he has a lot of great advice but also just generally made me feel a bit more positive than I have been lately
#5 - December 12, 2017, 12:56 AM

Members: