SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Anyone know where to find Muse's 2019 theme list?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
Cricket Media finally updated the ASK theme list a couple of weeks ago, but the MUSE submittable page still has the 2018 list, the last query deadline for which was February 26. Does anyone know if they post the theme list somewhere else?
#1 - April 27, 2018, 10:31 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Cricket Media finally updated the ASK theme list a couple of weeks ago, but the MUSE submittable page still has the 2018 list, the last query deadline for which was February 26. Does anyone know if they post the theme list somewhere else?

As far as I know, they only post it on their Submittable page, and I'm sure it'll go up there as soon as they have it ready. If you look at the 2018 list, you'll see the first query deadline wasn't until June, so my guess is that they put up their issue themes a bit later than the other mags. They all work at a slightly different pace.
#2 - April 27, 2018, 01:46 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Ok, I thought it was worth checking in case it went up on a blog or social media or something. Thanks!
#3 - April 27, 2018, 04:34 PM

I *think* last year their topic list came out around the middle/end of May. I might be a bit off with that timing, but I remember thinking that their first deadline was very fast!
#4 - April 29, 2018, 06:06 PM
Twitter: rebeccaefbarone

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Yes, Becca, you're right. Last year it was posted on May 17th.

And, yes, you're also right that sometimes the Cricket Media magazines post their new theme lists with very little lead time for the first issue.
#5 - April 29, 2018, 07:10 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
Just out of curiosity, does Cricket respond faster to submissions if they are submitted for one of their themes as opposed to a general submission?
#6 - April 30, 2018, 07:33 AM

Hopeful - If you're asking about the magazine named Cricket, I'm not going to be any help (I've never submitted there). But, with Muse (one of the Cricket Media magazines), I've gotten responses from both e-mail and Submittable queries in about the same timeframe.
#7 - May 01, 2018, 05:22 PM
Twitter: rebeccaefbarone

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Muse's new theme list just went up:

http://cricketmedia.com/muse-submission-guidelines
#8 - May 02, 2018, 09:07 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Just out of curiosity, does Cricket respond faster to submissions if they are submitted for one of their themes as opposed to a general submission?

I haven't found a big difference in response time between general submissions and themed submissions. Where it makes a difference is in the time it takes to have a submission placed. If you sell a piece to a specific issue, then you know it'll be in that issue. If it's a general submission, though, they have to figure out where they're going to put it, and that can take a while.
#9 - May 02, 2018, 09:12 AM
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:46 AM by tracy-vonder-brink »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thanks for the heads up, Tracy! They have some interesting themes coming up, looks like... *puts on brainstorming cap*
#10 - May 02, 2018, 09:44 AM

Members: