SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Seasonal Art in Portfolio?

Discussion started on

Hi illustrators!

I am working on developing my portfolio, and wondering whether or not it is a good idea to include a seasonal piece. It is Christmas themed and includes storybook characters such as the gingerbread man, Nutcracker and Clara, etc. as well as Joseph, Mary and Jesus. Is a seasonal piece with a religious reference too specific to include in a portfolio? Would it seem out of place? Or could it be a good demonstration of creative range?

:merryxmas
#1 - December 29, 2017, 05:57 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I think it would be just fine if you are interested in being commissioned to create that type of work.
#2 - December 29, 2017, 05:58 PM
https://marlalesage.com/
Pirate, year round 2019 Acorn Press

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Hi Katie, I agree with Marla, I think it's perfectly fine to add  seasonal piece's and you might also think of creating other holiday Illustrations and group them together.   You could also, if interested, create Illustrations featuring various religions and group them together in your portfolio. Lots of possibilities.
#3 - December 30, 2017, 01:44 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I'm not an illustrator, but I know for authors a religious piece would shunt you to the religious market.  Folks might assume that's what you want to do or where you belong. Is this true for illustrators as well?
#4 - December 30, 2017, 05:39 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Debbie, I agree, that would be true (like type casting) if all the Illustrator had in their portfolio, or a large portion of it, were religious depictions. Unless that is the area the Illustrator would like to concentrate their work in, they are wise to show a full range of topics.
#5 - December 31, 2017, 02:32 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Thank you all for the advice! I’d enjoy doing some seasonal and religious work, but I certainly don’t want to be limited to that, so I’ll make sure to have a good variety of subject material!
#6 - December 31, 2017, 09:25 AM

Members: