SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

PB Formatting - Page Numbers

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I've researched pb formatting a lot. And I've read that I can use page numbers in my ms, but I haven't seen many cases where it was used. Below is a screenshot of a mock picture book template. Is the numbering, alignment, and spacing correct?

I like to use page numbers because they help me make sure my book is formatted in a way that there plenty of page turning moments and that the story will lend itself well to the spreads.  Is that okay when querying?
#1 - January 06, 2018, 06:46 AM
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 07:05 AM by justin-colon »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Hi Justin,

I wasn't able to see your screenshot, however, if you are trying to mark your page turns, I do something like this:

3/

Write some text here.

4/5
Write text for this spread here.

etc. etc.

Others may have other methods. I'm not sure there's a standard as long as what you are doing is clear.

Kirsten
#2 - January 06, 2018, 06:48 AM
Kirsten W. Larson
--
WOOD, WIRE, WINGS (Calkins Creek, 2020)
CECILIA PAYNE: MAKING OF A STAR (SCIENTIST) (Chronicle, 2021)

kirsten-w-larson.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thank you for the response. The screenshot is now attached.
#3 - January 06, 2018, 07:12 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Found a link with an example: https://lernerbooks.blog/2017/09/paginate-picture-book-manuscript.html

I gave each page it's own text, even for pages that will share text and a spread. So, I didn't do (for example) page 4-5. This shouldn't be an issue when querying because page numbers can easily be changed, right?
#4 - January 06, 2018, 07:16 AM
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 07:20 AM by justin-colon »

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
In the end, how the text is split up isn't up to the author. But it's not a bad thing to submit with an idea, especially if it clarifies a vision. I don't think it matters which way you do it as long as it's clear.

Text on the page should be double spaced and paragraphs should be indented unless the work is more of a poem. (What you have works fine if there is never more than one paragraph per page. Otherwise it might get confusing.)
#5 - January 06, 2018, 08:31 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Agreeing with Debbie and Kirsten. There really isn't a standard guideline that has to be used for paging your PBs. As long as it's clear, you're good. And in the end, it's the text that matters the most.

I've done PBs both ways, with paging and without. When I do paging, mine is very similar to Kirsten's.
#6 - January 07, 2018, 12:11 AM
Vehicle Dreams Series-RPKids '16 -'18
(Fire Truck, Bulldozer, Race Car)
Rainy Day Picnic-Read Your Story '18
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale '15

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
You can also make a dummy book-
What I do is I divide the text up into 16 equal segments then take 9 legal pages and fold them in half-poke along the inside folded seam with a knife- then number from the first page 1-32 then cut text and tape or glue in place then read it-
Read it to see if both the text is balanced and the story is driven forward- or make you want to turn the page- maybe this is old school but this is what I'm doing and I'm pretty new with all this-then I make rough sketches-too
#7 - January 07, 2018, 12:32 AM
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:40 AM by karen-marks »

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thank you. No more than one paragraph per page in my ms. The pages help me determine the flow of the story and if it has pages that are visual and will are page turners. But like you said, that will change. Appreciate the help. Thanks again.
#8 - January 07, 2018, 02:47 AM

Members: