SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Current names of editors?

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Hello, all! I'm new to these boards and new to submitting to children's magazines.

I was wondering if anyone had a list of the names of current editors for the major children's magazine publications -- Highlight and its offshoots, Cricket media, etc. For example, the latest edition of Children's Writer's and Illustrator's Market lists Judy Burke as Highlights editor, but the website lists Christine French Cully as editor in chief.

Does anyone know what names I should be using? (I know I can just put "Submissions Editor," but that seems so impersonal.)
#1 - January 06, 2018, 09:01 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Hi Kelsey,

Have you googled "Highlights' editors?" If they've been interviewed on blogs, their names would show up pretty quickly. Good luck!

Jody
#2 - January 06, 2018, 09:42 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, EMERGENCY KITTENS!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL

Have you googled "Highlights' editors?"

Jody, thank you for your response. I have googled the editors, but I'm encountering the problem I mentioned in the first post -- Google comes up with one name, and my Writer's and Illustrator's Market book lists another.

To make matters even more confusing, when I google the name given by the Writer's Market book (Judy Burke), she's listed as an editor, too!
#3 - January 06, 2018, 09:54 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Joelle Dujardin edits for Highlights, though roles have been changing there recently, so I don't know ALL the areas she edits. My best advice is to just go with "Dear Editor." They won't take offense at either Carus or Highlights.
#4 - January 06, 2018, 10:56 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, EMERGENCY KITTENS!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region cencal
You can also try browsing through the latest magazine copy at the library and looking at the first page. My Highlights contributor copies from a few years ago list the editors but my Cricket group ones do not.  I don't know if that's still the case, but if it's important to you it might be worth checking. I agree, though, that "Dear Editor" is probably fine.
#5 - January 06, 2018, 12:40 PM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Women's Rights Movement: Then and Now
Capstone: January, 2018

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I always look at the current masthead to see who the editors are and as Rebecca says, "Dear Editor" works just as well.
Good luck!
#6 - January 06, 2018, 02:53 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thank you all so much for your help!

This is a lovely community. ❤️