SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Getting subscribers on your website

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
 :new
I have read all the posts I can find. I have not seen this question asked.
What's the best way to draw attention to your website so they will subscribe?
We already have a free short children's story, with an audio version, posted every month on our website.  This is a good way for parents to entertain children, when mom is busy cooking dinner.
Anyone have some other good advice?
Thanks
#1 - January 10, 2018, 10:32 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Hi, Lucy.
I'm sorry you haven't gotten any responses to your question. I was waiting to see if someone more knowledgeable about social media would chime in so maybe bumping this up will help.
I don't even have a website or blog, but my thinking is that longevity is key. So many blogs are now defunct, and many websites are not always maintained and updated. So, people stop visiting.
It sounds like you are doing everything right. Hang in there!
#2 - January 12, 2018, 03:15 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
... my thinking is that longevity is key. So many blogs are now defunct, and many websites are not always maintained and updated. So, people stop visiting.

:yup

Also, and I really hate to say this (because I hate doing this), but diligent, daily participation in the social media of your choice is just about the only way to build blog readers. When I tweet about my site's updates, my hits jump. Just remember it's a social place, not a marketplace. In your SM correspondence, give your followers something they want, something they need, something to make them laugh, and plenty of support for others. Then give them some info about your books/blog. Every day. If readers find they return to your blog often, they MIGHT subscribe, but don't count on it. Most people feel they already get too many emails, so unless it's something they really need/want or it is something that always brightens their day, they're more likely to visit occasionally than to subscribe.
#3 - January 12, 2018, 02:20 PM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
Independent Publishers Galler
KidLit Agents/Editors @ Conferences, Workshops/Retreats/Online Workshops
twitter @VonnaCarter

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
give your followers something they want, something they need, something to make them laugh, and plenty of support for others.

Definitely this! I have a blog, and I have a couple of blogs that I visit regularly (but since my main blog is on LJ -- which many have deserted, btw -- I have the option of reading all my friends' posts at once every day, which is what I do). I did subscribe to a couple years ago, and I'm still on the list -- but I rarely read the entries unless the title catches my attention as something that I need to read right then.

As for my own blogs, I don't think there's even a subscribe button (at least, not that I'm aware of). On LJ, only those still there read it, but I use it mainly to keep a running record of the books I read every year (along with a brief review). I'm not publicizing myself or my writing there. On my Wordpress blog, I have random comments from people here and there, but it's also a book review site (not one for me, however -- that one is for parents mostly).

I guess the main point I have (which probably isn't much) is that I rarely see anyone use their blog to drum up subscribers or 'business,' so to speak. Instead, it's a social tool for most. And if you don't use it like that, then (as Vonna says) you need another social tool to get involved with the community of folks who might become potential blog readers/subscribers.
#4 - January 12, 2018, 03:24 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. It is very confusing. Some say don't post to much, some say post a lot. We are on Twitter and we tweet often. We are also on Facebook, and do post there as well. Our web site is up to date, and we continue keep it updated. We've been told that we need people to subscribe to our website, because it is easy for people to miss your posts on a social media site as people have so many other posts in their social feed.  So do you need people to subscribe to your website?  :running
#5 - January 12, 2018, 03:59 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Hmmm, you have to have content that people want so you first have to identify your audience. Is it for parents or children? Discoverability is always an issue... how does one make a book stand out amidst a sea of books? I'm sure it's the same with websites. I'm not the best person to give advice about this because although I have a blog/website and I enjoy blogging, it serves as an online portfolio and a place to share some thoughts. I've made some great friends through it (we're talking real personal friends). So maybe what's helpful is knowing what makes me subscribe (or use a feed)?

1. Genuine shared interest in a topic--religion, writing, pets, raising kids
2. Must write very well--there are a lot of blogs on all these topics so I only want to read the best. I've discovered a lot of really good writers through their blogs and have purchased their books.
3. Must not shout "buy" "buy" "buy" all the time because it's a real turn-off. Trust that your reader is interested in your work.

If you can get on a site aggregator, that might be helpful. For example, I subscribe to Traditional Latin Mass in Maryland, even though I'm in SC, because they aggregate a lot of news pertaining to the TLM worldwide.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck, Vijaya
#6 - January 12, 2018, 04:30 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
If there was a sure-fire way to going viral, we'd all be infected.
Other than celebrity gossip feeds and erotica-- (I was thinking more of the S word, verboten here) for the most part kidlit writers' sites/blogs have small following. (All this changes if you have a best seller, but I am thinking this, too, is rare and rarer than an uber- popular blog.)
It doesn't mean you shouldn't try, present your authentic offerings, and stick with it. And I second and third the posts before me. This is a social activity. If you want to be visited, read, even followed, c'mon down and visit us. Not just once, but keep in touch. There are other rewards to that part. I've become connected to some beautiful folks in this way, and richer for it.
#7 - January 13, 2018, 09:31 AM
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing Aug 2012
THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520 July 2011

www.mirkabreen.com
http://mirkabreen.BlogSpot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
 :thankyou
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. Mirka, we've followed your blog.  Thanks for the invite.  Here is our website for anyone to join us: https://grimmsimaginarium.com. There are links to our various social media on our site. Feel free to start a conversation up on social media if you like. We'll do our best to answer them. Hopefully this post has given a few ideas to anyone who has had a question about how to draw attention to their website.
Lucy & Lizzy
#8 - January 14, 2018, 09:37 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
For me, "subscribe" itself is the crux. Back when I blogged, one of the reasons I chose Blogger over Wordpress is that you "follow" Blogger blogs/sites, meaning they show up in your Blogger dashboard (when you've specifically chosen to go to Blogger), and you can see their new posts and click on them. But "subscribing" to a Wordpress blog means you get an email whenever they post (unless things have changed), and that's a definite no for me. Can you imagine subscribing to even half a dozen of these, and say they post every day, and all of this hitting your inbox? No thanks.

Also, 217mom is right about the social aspect. If you want your blog followed/subscribed to, you must do the same for others. Quite a few others. One of the many reasons I stopped blogging was that I spent *twice* the time visiting and commenting on other blogs as I did posting on my own, just to maintain the lovely but small community I had. So the upshot was that I found blogging too labor-intensive and taking more time per week than I had to give. 
#9 - January 14, 2018, 12:06 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Hi,

Yes, there is an amount of negative aspects to getting e-mails. What business advice we have received and found can be summarized below:

Social media is a great way to supplement your business, and get your name out there. It lets you interact and create person relationships with your customers and readers. However, social media can be ignored or missed when users scroll down their social media feed. A email is in a readers inbox until they delete it, so it is much more difficult to miss. To prevent spamming your readers, you should only send out emails 1-2 times a week.

Forbes has a great article on why using email is important: https://www.forbes.com/sites/constantcontact/2015/09/17/10-reasons-to-use-email-marketing-as-told-by-small-businesses/#5d3df31758c0

This is just one article, but there are several more out there that emphasize the importance of having email subscribers. From what we've found, social media can be just as, if not more, labor intensive. We are doing our best to take advantage of any possible ways to attract positive attention to our books.  Keep writing!  :goodluck
#10 - January 15, 2018, 10:20 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region caribbeannorth
Hi. From what I read and courses I've taken, what you could use is a lead magnet. Depending on your audience and what your website or blog is about you give them something that they need as a treat for offering their email.  You must study your audience and know their needs and what your website will provide in that direction. 

I'm including two articles about magnets:
http://blog.infinitypublishing.com/bloginfinitypublishingcom/how-to-create-a-fiction-or-non-fiction-reader-magnet-with-free-books
https://smartselfpublishingbiz.com/17-fresh-reader-magnets-ideas-for-fiction-authors/

This is an interesting thread.  Learning.
#11 - January 15, 2018, 05:10 PM

I'm learning a lot from here, too. Thanks for the links to reader magnets, Zoraida!
#12 - January 15, 2018, 07:55 PM
Writing & Illustrating Quietly Bold Kidlit

https://carryusoffbooks.com/
My Clearest Me
Little Orchid's Sea Monster Trouble

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
 :wow
Zoraida,
You are awesome! Thanks for the very interesting information.  We will be checking out these articles.

Another resource we found that might be helpful for people is SCORE: https://www.score.org/, which we found from visiting the Small Business Association: https://www.sba.gov/,  or more specifically this page https://www.sba.gov/tools/local-assistance/score. SCORE will set you up with a mentor and help you work on building your business. We have been reaching out on the SCBWI board too for advice, since we figure the board here would have advice more specific to our business. We have gotten some very good help from working with SCORE mentors. There are also archived internet videos, and workshops you can go too. As far as we know, all the services, resources, and counseling they provide for no cost to you.

Lucy & Lizzy
#13 - January 17, 2018, 10:05 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Glad that the links were useful.  I recommend Jane Friedman's site. It's full of resources about websites, blogging and other writery topics.
She's an expert.  A site to go to and return.

https://www.janefriedman.com/category/digital-media/
#14 - January 23, 2018, 04:08 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
 :stars3
Thanks for the information. I looked up the website, and read some very useful information.
Lucy
#15 - January 29, 2018, 09:59 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Glad it was helpful, Lucy.
#16 - January 29, 2018, 06:05 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Zoraida.
I found the answer to one of questions (Do you need a website?).  It's a Yes! I need a personal website.  Jane Friedman also talks about subscribers to your website, and gives an interesting way to get subscribers to your website.  I now have a start point to address this on my website. I hope this discussion has helped new SCBWI authors.
Thanks so much for the information and help,
Lucy  :thankyou
#17 - January 31, 2018, 10:52 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I'm preparing my website and Jane's site has been most helpful.  You're welcomed. Sharing resources is part of the walk.
#18 - February 01, 2018, 04:37 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Zoraida,
Please send me a link to your website, would like to keep in touch.
Here is a link to my email: grimmsimaginarium@gmail.com
Lucy
#19 - February 06, 2018, 11:20 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Lucy,

My website is in construction!  I've taken a long time to prepare for it and I admit have procrastinated, too.  Being a perfectionist, has had to do with it.  I'll let you know as soon as it's up. 
#20 - February 07, 2018, 06:40 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
#21 - March 12, 2018, 04:30 AM
Word-Painting.webs.com

Members: