SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Picture Book Dummy and full-color sample help

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Hello -  I am new to all of this and the industry lingo is something I haven't yet grasped. What do they mean when they say to attach a PB dummy as pdf and the full-color sample as jpeg?

I know what the picture book dummy is, but can someone just clarify for me what they actually mean by the full color sample.

Thank you,
J
#1 - January 15, 2018, 01:17 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
A dummy usually isn't in full color, so the sample spread gives the art director, etc, an idea of your vision for finished art. They need to know how you use color and the like. That won't be in a sketched dummy. At least, I think they mean a sample finished spread. (I'm not an illustrator, I just read a lot of stuff geared toward the art.)
#2 - January 15, 2018, 06:17 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Thank you. I'm not an illustrator, so this seems strange to me.
#3 - January 15, 2018, 08:10 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
 Debbie, that's exactly what a full colour sample is:) An Illustrator might do up 1 or 2 finished pages/full colour art, in their dummy or attach separately a finished piece or sometimes just a link to their portfolio site/art, depending on what an Agent or Editor requests.
#4 - January 16, 2018, 01:58 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Julia, if you aren't an illustrator, all you need is the manuscript. Anyone asking for art is looking for author/illustrators. You can send a manuscript that is paginated the way you envision the book, but you do that by writing the page numbers or separating the text with blank lines.
#5 - January 16, 2018, 05:57 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Members: