SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Tide pods

Discussion started on

I just saw something about kids eating Tide Pods. It didn't say why kids would do this? Does anyone know?

Thanks,
Gatz
#1 - January 22, 2018, 02:06 PM
SurfYourOwnMind.com, children's creativity blog currently in development.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Because it's a thing? One person goes on social media, does it, & challenges another. Like the Ice Bucket challenge but 100% wrong. I'm not sure they need to challenge a friend. People really don't think do they?

IMHO Tide Pods stink anyway - we tried them (the proper usage only!) and they didn't fully dissolve leaving plasticky residue glued to our clothes which was hard to scrub off.
#2 - January 22, 2018, 04:13 PM
https://marlalesage.com/
Pirate, year round 2019 Acorn Press

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Maybe the article meant little kids eat them mistaking them for candy.
#3 - January 22, 2018, 06:37 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Not quite.  People used to be concerned about them being mistaken for candy by small children.  But the new craze is a Thing among young people--stupid young people.  Sigh.
#4 - January 22, 2018, 06:56 PM
VAMPIRINA IN THE SNOW (Disney-Hyperion, 2018)
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
 :bewildered  LAUNDRY DETERGENT????  What do they wash it down with, Downy ?
#5 - January 22, 2018, 06:59 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
My doctor got interviewed about this by some news network. He said it's really extraordinarily bad for you. No surprise, I suppose--but he said it's definitely not the thing to do for a lark. It can have serious consequences.  :feelbad
#6 - January 22, 2018, 08:14 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
It's poison. These kids are eating poison because of a dare. I guess they would jump off the proverbial Brooklyn Bridge. This is worse than the cinnamon challenge. Just dumb.
#7 - January 22, 2018, 08:28 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Fabulist
Poster Plus
It started off as a meme. Posters on places like 9gag, Reddit, and 4chan started sharing memes of how Tide Pods looked like candy--random, dumb, harmless fun, really. But with great power, comes great stupidity and some people took the joke literally and started posting themselves actually eating it for views on Youtube and Facebook. Mind you, a meme is a meme--a joke, but there is always that one person who takes it too far and the flock follow. Fortunately, all memes die. The trend will be forgotten in a couple of weeks.

Oh, and let us not forget the "fire challenge" where kids would put acetone or lighter fluid on their bodies and literally light themselves on fire. We live in dark times.
#8 - January 22, 2018, 08:39 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
But this meme can turn deadly. Some senior citizens and young children have died from consuming these pods.
#9 - January 22, 2018, 08:45 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Fabulist
Poster Plus
But this meme can turn deadly. Some senior citizens and young children have died from consuming these pods.

A lot of kids got seriously injured doing the cinnamon and fire challenges too. :(  It's so strange these days how everyone wants to be famous. The best we can do is educate our children and let this meme die off. The more the media talks about it, the more kids are going to want to do it. It's a Catch-22, really. Because the media is just trying to inform parents. But at the end of the day, it's the parent's responsibility to monitor what their kids are doing.
#10 - January 22, 2018, 09:13 PM

A lot of kids got seriously injured doing the cinnamon and fire challenges too. :(  It's so strange these days how everyone wants to be famous. The best we can do is educate our children and let this meme die off. The more the media talks about it, the more kids are going to want to do it. It's a Catch-22, really. Because the media is just trying to inform parents. But at the end of the day, it's the parent's responsibility to monitor what their kids are doing.

I didn't know anyone was actually eating tide pods until this post. I've seen a few tweets joking about it, but I didn't know it was really a thing. It's sad. I'm 23 myself and not yet a parent. Until recently, I often didn't feel far removed from being a teen. But now I can't help but think about this parentally, as in "What in the heck? Have you lost your gosh dang mind? Sit down." I think a few years ago, there was a trend called the pass out game. Kids would hold their breath and put their heads down in an attempt to pass out. This, of course, was not healthy.
Like you said, we need to educate kids and tell them they don't have to do stupid, dangerous stuff just to fit in.
#11 - January 23, 2018, 12:08 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I can't remember the name of the article but some of these 'kids' are in their twenties. The pods are causing burns to the mouth and esophagus, if inhaled (from when you are gagging from the burns) it can cause a build up of fluid in the lungs, vomiting and diarrhea are pretty much guaranteed. All serious even in the least extreme cases. My daughter informed me of it because their school spoke to them about it, so we researched it together. It is amazing what folks will do for attention.
#12 - January 23, 2018, 06:35 AM
Odd Animal ABC's (Blue Manatee, 4-2-19)
She Leads: The Elephant Matriarch (Familius, Spring 2020)

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
It seems insane to me that people who are otherwise intelligent (they got into college? That requires at least a base level of intelligence, no?) would try something like this. Use your brains? Like really, you should not need a label on it to tell you that laundry detergent is NOT FOOD.

The pass-out game is DANGEROUS. A kid at our middle school accidentally died playing it a few years ago. It was a horrible shock in a gentle community.
#13 - January 23, 2018, 07:27 AM

Thanks, everyone.

I can only hope this fad, if it is one, dies out quickly, before kids start dying.

Gatz
#14 - January 23, 2018, 12:26 PM
SurfYourOwnMind.com, children's creativity blog currently in development.

I don't know the date of the article you read, but initially, wee-ones were at least attempting to  eat the pods--colorful, "happy" little things that resembled candy. And kids put anything in their mouth....

I had no idea it had elevated to higher ages.  :cry2

A family I know who uses the pods has no children but keep the pods in a closet on a highshelf-----in case their small, 15-year-old, arthritic dog might get tempted...or curious...or confused...or.....  :running
#15 - January 23, 2018, 05:54 PM
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Einstein.

I teach HS, and this is real. We had a kid bring them to school and had to notify their parents. Dumbest thing I've seen... and I've seen some pretty dumb stuff.
#16 - January 26, 2018, 02:40 PM

Members: