SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Is this co-writing?

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Hi all!
Thanks for taking the time to read this.  :running

So, I’m working with a friend on the third draft of our story and we will be sending it to my agent after it comes back from some beta readers. The plan is for me to illustrate it once it’s finished. My question is: does our process count as co-writing, or am I in a different role? Here is what our writing process has been so far: We got together, pitched our different story ideas, and ended up chosing one of hers. She wrote the first draft and I read it over, giving notes, feedback and offering some story suggestions. She took those into account and came back with the second draft. She’s sending it out to some beta readers  and we’ll go over It again and make more changes soon.

Does this count as co-writing? I haven’t actually done any writing, the story feels like it’s equally ours but I want to make sure she gets the correct credit and I don’t take credit for something I haven’t done.

Thank you! I really appreciate your time and thoughts!
#1 - January 30, 2018, 02:19 PM

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I personally wouldn't call that co-writing. It sounds more like editing or first reader/crit partner.

Co-writing to me is when to writers come together, plot out the story together, and then write the story together, as well (like sitting down before their computers and using Google docs or something similar to write together). I once started a novel with a writing friend that was co-written. This was before tools like Google came along, so we simply alternated chapters. I've also read a few books that were co-written, and all of those had dual-POV where each writer took one character and wrote all that character's sections.
#2 - January 30, 2018, 03:41 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Hi Andracill,
That really helps! The writer and I thought that might be the case but what we found online hadn’t been specific enough about the process for us to be sure. Thank you!
#3 - January 30, 2018, 04:10 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Your role in this story is that of a critique partner, even if you've given her a golden line.

Co-writers would be when you share the actual writing/drafting, whether it's alternate chapters or different viewpoints and rewrite each other's words as if they were your own.
#4 - January 30, 2018, 04:43 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Agreeing with everything Robin and Vijaya said.
#5 - January 30, 2018, 04:55 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Hi Vijaya and Jayca!
 I think that settles it then!
Thank you for your expertise ladies. :)
#6 - January 30, 2018, 08:13 PM

Members: