SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Hand lettering

Discussion started on

Hello!
     I have not been very involved as I should be but am venturing to ask a question.  I have a book in progress.  I am wanting t hand letter it and am looking for othe kids books that I can look at at that have been lettered by hand.  I know that Marla Frazee hand letters.  Anyone have any favorite examples to shae with me?  Also, any other tips.  I'm older and not quite tech savvy enough to do it on th ecomputer yet.  This is a personal project.  Thanks!
#1 - February 06, 2018, 02:14 PM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
My daughter says the Tom Gates books have some hand lettering (if I understand you right, you mean handwriting as a font?)
#2 - February 06, 2018, 10:27 PM
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink (August 2018)

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Yes, as in hand written.  Thank you! 
#3 - February 06, 2018, 10:32 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
Hi Marsha,

Very interesting question, I never realized so many children books where NOT hand lettered!

Anyway I went through our (my son and I)  collection and could only find "The Story Of The Little Mole Who Knew It Was None Of His Business" by Holzwarth and Erlbruch being hand lettered but I might be wrong as only small variations are present, worth having a look anyway.

Hope this helps!
#4 - February 07, 2018, 12:00 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Peter Brown's You Will Be My Friend & Children Make Terrible Pets have handlettered speech balloons.
If You Ever Want to Bring a Piano to the Beach... Don't! uses a font created from Elise Parsley's handwriting. Which is fairly common & you can actually make your own font for free via the web with a bit of trial & error.
Handlettering is still quite common in graphic novels & comics although many use fonts created from the letterer's handwriting.
Oliver Jeffers  - I think most of his work is handlettered but Here We Are was lettered digitally because with traditional handlettering he'd have to edit out his text & rewrite in a foreign language everytime his books were translated into another language which was becoming a bit of a problem. Although I think sometimes they just replace the original text with a font.
#5 - February 07, 2018, 06:10 AM
https://marlalesage.com/
Pirate, year round 2019 Acorn Press

Thanks for the titles!  It's helpful.  Helps inspire me too :-)
#6 - February 07, 2018, 07:08 AM

Members: