SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

illustrating for self-published book

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
An author  has approached me (through an editor/manuscript doctor I respect very much) to illustrate her self-published picture book about Hurricane Irma.  The text is well-written, thoughtful, and carefully edited. The author has connections and a real sense of purpose with this book. Both she and her manuscript doctor/editor have seen my artwork and think it is a perfect style for the text. I would like to take on the project, but right now she is only offering $3300 dollars for 16 illustrations + cover and 3% royalties. That is WAY too low for the amount of work. I am thinking at least $5000 + stipulations about how many revisions can requested+ copyright/use limitations. I know that is also low but wonder if it is a good compromise. I have published YA fiction...my artwork sells in galleries, but I have never illustrated a book. So my learning curve is part of my consideration, too.
#1 - February 15, 2018, 03:53 AM

Children's Book Editor
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
I think that's a very reasonable counter-offer. You didn't say if there will be a designer or art director to help with the design of the book--perhaps they haven't told you. But that's something I would want to know as well. It's a plus if there is.
#2 - February 15, 2018, 06:57 AM
Harold Underdown

The Purple Crayon, a children's book editor's site: http://www.underdown.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/HUnderdown

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thank you for that response! Yes—there is a graphic designer involved! I appreciate you taking the time to write back!
#3 - February 15, 2018, 07:54 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Oh, and—The Purple Crayon is my all time FAVORITE children’s book!
#4 - February 15, 2018, 07:55 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Your counter offer didn't mention royalties. It might be good to keep those too, even if it is a low percentage.
#5 - February 15, 2018, 05:46 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Yes, Debbie.  Good point to not lose sight of the royalties. Thank you.
#6 - February 15, 2018, 05:48 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
>offering $3300 dollars for 16 illustrations + cover and 3% royalties<
Not mentioned but I assume that royalty wouldn't kick in until the advance has been paid out? So at only 3% self pub, that could be never, it's a lot of books to sell, especially if the percentage is based on Net (that's not mentioned either, net or retail?)
So it's best to assume in your negotiations the advance is all you may get, then ask yourself if your happy with that. I would say you wouldn't be, sounds like you work in a more realistic style and the project could require a lot of time in research and reference as well.
I think your counter offer is more in line but again, assume it will be the only money you get, then be pleasantly surprised if it sells well enough for royalties to start down the road:)
#7 - February 16, 2018, 03:33 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Yes, Chris. I agree that the royalty is not a draw here and the up front money and agreements are the more significant factors.
#8 - February 16, 2018, 03:41 AM

Members: