SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Using Skype for a chat

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
Hi,
I'm going to have a chat with an editor on SKYPE. I was practicing with a friend and they can't hear me and I can't hear them.  But we can see each other. I'm not using earphones and I'm trying to speak into the computer. I see the icons for Speakers and Independent Headphones and another for Headphones. I was trying the Speakers and Independent Headphones one and it's still not working. Do I need to pick a different device? I'm completely lost. If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
#1 - February 18, 2018, 01:06 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
This is a complete shot in the dark, but is your sound on? For the computer itself, I mean.
#2 - February 18, 2018, 05:19 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Did you try Skype help? They usually let you test your sound and trouble shoot if something's wrong. Also, did you try plugging in your earbuds and using them? One time I had no sound, but when I used my earbuds it worked fine.
#3 - February 18, 2018, 05:31 PM
A Smidgen of Sky (Harcourt 2012)
A Sliver of Sun (book #2)
 A Million Ways Home (Scholastic 2014)
Just Left of Lucky (2018)
 www.diannawinget.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
Yes, the sounds is on. I was hoping not to use any earbuds. But I'm thinking my computer is somehow set up to earphones when I don't want it to be. I'm not sure how to change the setting.
#4 - February 18, 2018, 06:13 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Yes, that's where the Skype help worked for me. It ran a troubleshooting guide that took me to my computer's setting and allowed me to change it.
#5 - February 18, 2018, 07:08 PM
A Smidgen of Sky (Harcourt 2012)
A Sliver of Sun (book #2)
 A Million Ways Home (Scholastic 2014)
Just Left of Lucky (2018)
 www.diannawinget.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
There are a few things it could be. Mac Skype and Windows Skype sometimes have problems talking to each other. Skype for Business/Skype Meetings sometimes doesn't talk to either of the regular Skypes.

Try right clicking the speaker in the bottom right of your screen (it might not show though), and select Playback Devices. If you have more than one, which one has the green checkmark? Start Skype and see if any of the bars show sound when the other person talks.

#6 - February 18, 2018, 07:46 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Try clicking on "Options" in your  "Tools" menu, There you can explore and test your audio settings.
Good luck!
#7 - February 19, 2018, 05:44 PM
Jean Reidy
Coming soon: Pup 681, Truman, When the Snow is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall, Group Hug , Specs and Specs II.
Others at www.jeanreidy.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Sometimes logging completely off and then back on helps with Skype.
#8 - February 20, 2018, 04:40 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Members: