SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Comparing and contrasting chapter book series IVY AND BEAN and HEIDI HECKELBECK

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
 I noticed that IVY AND BEAN  appears to be approximately 8000 words and 11 chapters. HEIDI HECKELBECK has 10 chapters and may be around the same number of words. HEIDI  might be a good comp title for me.  Would it be better to stick to 10 chapters? Many thanks!
#1 - February 28, 2018, 09:33 AM

Poster Plus
Welcome to the Blueboard, Deborah!!

:welcome2

Do you mean a comp title for something you've already written (for a query that requires comp titles)? If so, go with what's closer to your own manuscript.

If you mean a comp as a model for your work-in-progress and want to know if it's better to go with ten chapters or eleven, I think the story has to direct you. If the story is complete in ten chapters, you don't need to change the pacing or make it longer just to arrive at eleven. For that matter, if it's over in nine, that's okay, too. The editor can always break up or condense chapters to better fit the conventions of the publishing house.

Best, best wishes!!

(And I apologize if I've misunderstood your question!)

#2 - February 28, 2018, 11:21 AM
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 11:22 AM by carrots »

FYI: HEIDI HECKELBECK books average just under 5000 words and IVY AND BEAN around 9000 words.
#3 - March 01, 2018, 05:55 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Use as many chapters as you need to tell the story, but try to keep them close to consistent in length. (If they vary greatly, don't worry about it too much. Do what works for the story.) Chapter book word counts run from about 5,000 to about 10,000.
#4 - March 01, 2018, 06:01 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

I've worked on a few chapter book series, and had a very similar question. My editor said the number of chapters wasn't that important, and the chapters didn't need to be the same length. Although mine seem to be 800-1000 per chapter for a 10,000 word book.  And they tend to be 10-12 chapters. Hope that helps!
#5 - March 01, 2018, 07:20 PM
MG-SCHOOL OF CHARM
BACK ON THE MAP
Scholastic CB series:
ENCHANTED PONY ACADEMY
THE WISH FAIRY
MERMAIDS TO THE RESCUE '19
PB-GOODNIGHT LAGOON '19

Members: