SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Magazine articles index?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I have a couple of nonfiction topics that I'd like to develop and submit to one of the Bug magazines, or possibly Highlights. Is there an easy way for me to find out whether they've already published articles on these topics. An index of past articles, perhaps?
#1 - March 02, 2018, 11:14 AM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (July, 2020)
DON'T HUG DOUG (Spring, 2021)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
They have archives on the site. You could try a site search for the topic. I'm not sure if everything will show up, but it can't hurt to try. A Google search with the topic and magazine name might help too.
#2 - March 02, 2018, 08:14 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Hmm. Highlights has past tables of contents on their site.

I’m thinking you’re probably already familiar with the topics lists for Cobblestone mags, but I thought I’d mention it just in case.

Honestly I wouldn’t worry too much about whether they’ve published an article on the topic. Magazines plan very far ahead. If they buy your article, by the time it appears in print there will have been a lot of time between any past article on the topic and yours.

Personally I’d just check those topic lists to see if there are any matches, and if not I’d senftothe publication that I thought was the best fit.
#3 - March 02, 2018, 09:38 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
I often check for past article/story topics by accessing my library's database from home. The particular one I use is called "Info Trac Student," but there are probably others. I do a publication search for the magazine (they have both Highlights and Cricket), and then search within that for the topic's key word to see if/how it's been written about before.
#4 - March 03, 2018, 09:40 AM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Thanks, everyone! These are helpful suggestions.
#5 - March 05, 2018, 11:03 AM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (July, 2020)
DON'T HUG DOUG (Spring, 2021)

Members: