SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

chrome screen size

Discussion started on

I finally had to give up using Firefox. It was just too slow. I have Google Chrome now and the screen size covers my whole computer. Does anyone know how I can make it smaller? I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

Thanks
Ree
#1 - March 09, 2018, 04:12 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
Have you checked the settings in the view menu? Try checking Always show Booksmarks Bar, and Always show Toolbar in Fullscreen.
#2 - March 09, 2018, 05:29 AM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
Independent Publishers Galler
KidLit Agents/Editors @ Conferences, Workshops/Retreats/Online Workshops
twitter @VonnaCarter

If it's a Mac, try this: https://www.lifewire.com/resizing-macs-windows-new-tricks-2259806

If it's a PC, is the menu ribbon gone too? If so, hit F11 (hit it a second time to switch back)
Otherwise hold down the windows button and hit the down arrow and see if that helps.
If you mean the fonts are just super big, use Ctrl and - (minus) to shrink all the fonts.

A picture would help.
#3 - March 09, 2018, 01:20 PM

Thanks guys,

Yes, I'm trying to change the screen size, not the font size. I tried both your suggestions. It only moves the screen a tiny bit. In firefox, I could get the bookmarks as a permanent sidebar and it made the reading screen just the right size.

Ree
#4 - March 10, 2018, 04:04 AM

I don't know what you know, so I apologize if this is obvious...

Look in the top right corner beside the X. If it's a single box then you should be able to move the mouse into the very top right of the windows and see it change to an arrow. If you click the left mouse button down and hold it, you should be able to drag it down and left to shrink the window.

If it's a double box beside the X then you'll need to use Windows button+down arrow first before you can see the arrow.
#5 - March 10, 2018, 07:33 AM

Thanks, David,

I'm trying to find a way for it to be automatic.

Ree
#6 - March 10, 2018, 10:23 AM

Chrome should remember it's size (and location) from the last time you closed it. If it doesn't do that, it may have installed incorrectly. I had that at work the other day. The problem is that uninstalling it and reinstalling doesn't necessarily fix anything. You have to delete the configuration files.

I'm not sure if you're comfortable doing this or not, but read through the whole thing before you decide.

Exit Chrome then click on the file folder icon so you can see your files.
Go to C:\Users\ and then to your account name (i.e. how you login in)
Then up in the line at the top where it says This PC >> C: .... etc.  click towards the right side and the line will change to
C:\Users\...
Click again so that the text is no longer highlighted.
Type in AppData and hit Enter (this is a hidden directory that you probably can't see)
Double Click on Local
Double Click on Google
Right click on Chrome and select Delete.

This clears all the Chrome setup information. The next time you start Chrome it recreates all the setup files. Since you don't have any favourites or passwords saved yet, that should be fine for you.
#7 - March 10, 2018, 04:08 PM
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 04:10 PM by David Wright »

Whoa, Dave.

Thanks so much.  If I'm feeling daring, I'll try it.

Ree
#8 - March 10, 2018, 10:13 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
:popcorn

What is it with Chrome these days?
#9 - March 11, 2018, 01:00 PM

I've always used Firefox, but just kept having problems with slowness. So I'm new to Chrome.

Do most people with PC use Chrome?

Ree
#10 - March 11, 2018, 06:36 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
I started with IE.  Microsoft replaced it with Edge (for windows 10) and I still have both IE and Edge on my toolbar. My techie husband swears that for Internet safety nothing beats Edge.
But a few years ago I discovered chrome. Discovered is the wrong word. Google sort of hounds you to switch to it, and my blog (blogger) is a google product. At one point I could not upload images to my blog any other way but with Chrome. That was when I relented and added it and thus "discovered" it was faster, better, everything worked better on it etc. I pretty much I prefer Chrome to IE/Edge because  of the better operation.
#11 - March 12, 2018, 02:26 PM
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing Aug 2012
THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520 July 2011

www.mirkabreen.com
http://mirkabreen.BlogSpot.com

Thanks, 217Mom.

I was using Firefox because it protects your privacy, but it was very very slow. Chrome is much faster and supposedly more secure, privacy issues aside. So I'm a Chromey now.

Ree

#12 - March 19, 2018, 04:07 AM

Members: