SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

MG that includes some POVs of adults - Still MG?

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I am working on an MG novel with multiple points of view. The main protagonist is a dog who moves from owner to owner. The first owner will be a girl in the MG age range. If some POVs are from adults would this be an issue for an MG novel? The consistent POV will be the dog's interspersed with his various owners' POVs as well.
#1 - March 12, 2018, 01:00 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I've read MG book with a few adult POVs. Very well done. Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz and Zel by Donna Jo Napoli come to mind immediately. Execution is everything. Good luck!
#2 - March 12, 2018, 03:05 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Check out Tor Seidler's brilliant Gully's Travels for an MG novel with a dog POV.
#3 - March 12, 2018, 03:48 PM
DUCKWORTH: THE DIFFICULT CHILD (Atheneum, 2019)
INCOGNOLIO (Janx Press, 2017)
CRASHING EDEN  (Solstice, 2012)
OTTO GROWS DOWN (Sterling, 2009)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Is there a reason that some of the owners have to be adults? If not, I'd avoid it.

I just revised the book of my heart--which I wrote in 2010--to avoid POV shifts to the adults.
#4 - March 12, 2018, 04:49 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Seconding dews. I'd avoid this. It isn't that it's impossible to get adult POVs published in MG. I've read a few recent examples. It's that it's yet another hurdle to get over as far as feeling relatable to the MG audience, and you'll get rejections for this issue alone. Big-name authors are allowed to do things the rest of us may not be, because they are proven sellers. I've come to believe that this road is hard enough without adding elements to a book that are going to be a hard sell from the get-go. Is there some reason all the owners can't be kids?
#5 - March 12, 2018, 06:17 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Members: