SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Contest winner in odd situation

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Last year I sent in two entries to the Green River Writers Contest, then forgot about it. Recently I happened to go to the contest site and saw that the winners had been announced at the end of 2017.  My entries had placed in both categories! I was surprised no one had told me, so I emailed the address listed at the site and gave them again all my contact information. That was about Feb. 20. Now it's March and I haven't heard anything.  All prizes were an amount of cash--mine were $30 and $100. The money would be nice, but I'm really more upset about the fact that no one told me I won and my email wasn't answered. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

#1 - March 15, 2018, 02:08 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Hasn't happened to me, but two things I would suggest:
Check your email spam filter to see if any notification to you ended up there.
Double-check your original contest entry to see what contact info you provided. If you use multiple email addresses (as many of us do), you may have forgotten which account you used.
If they really never notified you--yeah, they should've. As for the money, it can sometimes take quite a while for that to come through, as we all know ...
And last but not least, congratulations!
#2 - March 15, 2018, 02:17 PM
Jennifer R. Hubbard
www.jenniferhubbard.com

Loner in the Garret: A Writer's Companion
Until It Hurts to Stop
Try Not to Breathe
The Secret Year

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
First, Congratulations!!! I'm sorry that they didn't contact you but WriterJenn has great advice on figuring out what might have happened. I hope they will get back to you and your prize money too.

#3 - March 15, 2018, 03:43 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Seems unprofessional. Congrats on winning, though, and I hope you get your loot! :treasure
#4 - March 16, 2018, 11:03 AM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Congratulations on your wins, Linda!! I'm sorry you didn't receive notification or your prizes. I'm betting it's an honest mistake or some glitch with email. I know Chuck Sudduth on Facebook. If you'd like, I'll be glad to send him a private message there and ask him about your situation. Just let me know.
#5 - March 16, 2018, 12:05 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Congratulations, Linda! 

:goldstar

I've never had this particular thing happen, but I used to enter all kinds of writing contests.  Assuming this isn't a computer glitch,  here's what you should do.

One thing I know is that, for any legitimate contest, there should be rules posted. You should always read and make a copy of the rules because it's a legal document.  A true writing contest--that is if there are judges that read each entry and determine a winner based on skill or merit--is treated differently under the law than if the contest winners are selected through a drawing. You'll have to check the laws in the state in which the contest was held for the details. Usually the rules should state how  and when the winners will be notified.

The rules should  also state what the criteria for judging are. The contest sponsors are required to follow the rules exactly. (Unfortunately, a lot of people don't know this. And sometimes the sponsors leave out important information.)

Are the rules still posted?  Is contact information given? If so write a very nice letter to the sponsors (a letter, not an email) and mention your problem.  If this is a legitimate contest, they should be willing to follow through. If not, you probably should just let it go.

#6 - March 16, 2018, 04:23 PM
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 08:21 PM by Betsy »
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Betsy, this is a legitimate contest sponsored by a writing group here in Kentucky.  I've read their rules in the past and considered entering, although I've never ended up doing so.  They do charge a modest entry fee. I'm sure they'll award the prizes.  The impression I've gotten (but I may be wrong) is that different members sponsor different categories in the contest and probably agree to pay the prizes for that category if not enough entry fees cover them.

I've always thought it was a cool thing for a writing group to do and would hate for them to get a bad name for some glitch in the system that's maybe not their fault.  I'll contact Chuck and see if I can find out what's going on.
#7 - March 16, 2018, 06:10 PM
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 06:28 PM by Ev »

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I'll contact Chuck and see if I can find out what's going on.

And this ^ is why I  :love5 the Blueboards.
#8 - March 16, 2018, 08:02 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Linda, I emailed Chuck Suddeth and he responded promptly.  He said that he personally sent out all the prize money, so he knows yours was sent [and that would also have been your notification of your wins]. That either the address was wrong or the mail failed. [I've personally been having so much trouble with the USPS recently, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this is their fault.] Once he has your name [I didn't give it to him], he'll check with their treasurer about stopping payment on the previous checks and reissuing you new ones. He said he had not received your email. [So maybe the two of you can figure out what happened there.]

He said to give you his email address and text contact number, so you can get in touch with him.  [I will PM that to you now.]

You will definitely get your prize money.
#9 - March 16, 2018, 08:21 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Thanks for taking care of that, Ev. I'm glad there are still legitimate writing contests around, and that we have winners here on the BBs.

#10 - March 16, 2018, 08:21 PM
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 08:25 PM by Betsy »
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Nice work, Ev.

Congratz, Linda!
#11 - March 16, 2018, 08:30 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
This thread just warms my heart.  :love5 :stars3
#12 - March 17, 2018, 06:12 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
And this ^ is why I  :love5 the Blueboards.

Thank you Ev.
#13 - March 17, 2018, 06:19 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Admin Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
 :stars3 Hooray for Ev!
:congratulations to Linda Rae!
#14 - March 17, 2018, 06:56 AM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
twitter @VonnaCarter

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Oh. And I will just pass on something else Chuck shared with me in his email. He said their writing group is a registered non-profit organization and makes no money from the yearly writing contest. They gave out almost $1700 in prizes this past year.

When I think about how much time and effort this contest must involve for that group, it makes my heart happy to know that they're willing to do all this just to create a great place for other writers to submit their work and have an opportunity to win prizes!
#15 - March 17, 2018, 01:48 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Good for them. It's helpful in a cover letter if you can say you've won a contest or two.
#16 - March 17, 2018, 04:29 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
New!
Chuck sent me a pleasant email. He  said he checked  his records and had actually written down 540 instead of 530. If this were a street of houses, it probably wouldn't have mattered, but 530 and 540 are big apartment buildings. My faith in the post office is restored.
Thank you very very much, Ev, for stepping forward and solving all this!  :thankyou

You're right--all the prizes (15 categories)  add up to a lot, and Green River Writers are very generous.
Now I can focus on being happy. I can't remember ever before having won anything in a writing contest. :running 
#17 - March 18, 2018, 03:05 PM
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:50 PM by Linda Rae »

Members: