SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Using Imperial versus Metric in book?

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Hi all,
I've polishing the final details on a book that emphasizes science and engineering.  In those fields, people typically use the metric system even in the US (well... for the math and physics, I won't even get started on bolt and hole sizes for machining).  Because I'm trying to promote scientific thinking throughout the book, I opted to use the metric system in the book, even to describe things like the characters' heights.  Is this a bad idea / will it turn off an agent?
#1 - March 15, 2018, 07:33 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Jasmine, if I have a need to use the metric system I still always use the English units in parentheses so that it's easy for kids to see how the two systems are related. It takes a long time to switch over in your brain. I don't know about agents' tastes.
#2 - March 16, 2018, 06:26 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I agree with V. Put the English system in parenthesis wherever it makes sense. But this shouldn't be a deal breaker either way. It's a style issue on the part of a publisher. It's also an easy fix if they prefer one to the other or both. Good luck.
#3 - March 16, 2018, 07:58 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Thank you for the suggestions  - I like the idea of putting units in parens, that hadn't occurred to me!
#4 - March 17, 2018, 08:41 PM

Members: