SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Scanning and Printing issues -- urgent

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Help!  Is there such a thing as a print shop with a scanner for oversized watercolor that does not drag painted watercolor paper through rollers, maybe so big it has a cover that presses down? 

Yesterday print shop staff scanned my illustration for the illustration intensive tomorrow.  First version so awful with white blotches all over, presumably due to wavy Arches watercolor paper.  They did a second version that seemed better.  Got home and saw that it scanned blurrier than original and would need extensive Photoshop work to fix/redo.  So I'm out $10 for a crummy scan.   Started to use Photoshop healing brush on the lines caused by their rubber rollers and trying to fix where the scan caught and disjointed shapes (eg light fixture) BUT I'M OVER MY HEAD AND CANNOT DO THIS BY TOMORROW.   I'm just taking my first Photoshop NOW -- learned painting last week and have no Wacom for redrawing and repainting all the blurry figures.   

I guess I could just send this blurry thing to SCBWI intensive, but I'm feeling a bit down about sending this.  Any advice?    Thanks for reading.....
#1 - April 06, 2018, 09:02 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
The information I'm going to give is so old that it is probably useless, but, on the off chance it might help, I'll offer it.

Thirty years ago we had a company in town that printed full size architectural drawings. That was their main business, but they would print oversized images for others, too. The sheet was laid flat on a scanning bed with a cover over the top. This was before widespread use of AutoCad and other programs, so I don't know if this method even exists anymore.

You could also try the print shop of a college or university with an art program. Even if you aren't a student, they will probably print something for a price.

If you have an art store within reach, they might have a large printer on the premises.

Maybe a sign store or even Staples. The Staples near us prints full sized beautiful posters, but I don't know what process they use.

I'm not an illustrator, so I'm sorry if these are all garbage suggestions. Good luck. I can feel your frustration.
#2 - April 06, 2018, 09:26 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Gloria, that's so last minute that I'm not sure you could do anything about it but I feel your pain:(
The only thing I might of suggested was setting up extremely good lighting and taking a photo, then printing that out?
Perhaps you should take the original with you today, if it's not explicitly stated in the rules "no original art".
#3 - April 07, 2018, 02:54 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Thank you both for your suggestions.   I am only glad the issue came up on Thursday and not Saturday!  I used skills I just learned in Photoshop to (as best as I could) cover up the scratch marks caused by their scanner rollers and re-electronically draw and paint the parts where it I guess got lightly stuck in the scanner and caused my painting to have disjointed parts and tried to clarify blurred parts.    I appreciate that you took the time to be so thoughtful and also send condolences as well :)!! 

#4 - April 08, 2018, 10:41 AM

Members: