SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Submittable - Bug mag's submissions stuck in Received and not In Progress?

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I sent a fiction revision to Ladybug in April and received an acceptance in early June. A little less than 2 months on a R&R. 

The initial submission through Submittable though - a little less than 6 months to hear back with the rejection and invitation to revise and resubmit.

So hang in there. I’m sure you’ll hear back, though it may take some time. Good luck to all!
#31 - July 05, 2018, 03:48 PM
Anita N. Amin

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Just wanted to post an update on long wait times (with regard to status change) for others who might be experiencing the same.

I submitted a poem to Babybug on 5/11, and it's still listed as "received." So it's been almost 13 weeks. I know to expect long wait times in general, but it's interesting that it's taking so long to move to "in progress." I'm aware that editors can individually view submissions without the status changing, so it's possible that that's what's happening...or there could just be a giant backlog of submissions.
#32 - August 07, 2018, 01:26 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
I was actually thinking that maybe Cricket Media is taking a summer break.   From the entries that have been posted on submission grinder
 ( https://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/ ), it looks as if there have been no responses from any of the Cricket magazines in quite some time.
#33 - August 07, 2018, 01:34 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I was actually thinking that maybe Cricket Media is taking a summer break.   From the entries that have been posted on submission grinder
 ( https://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/ ), it looks as if there have been no responses from any of the Cricket magazines in quite some time.

Oh man. Yeah I have poems that have been stuck in received since April 2018.

#34 - August 07, 2018, 01:39 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic

That would make a lot of sense, Hopeful.

Is it just me, or does it seem like both big imprints (Carus/Highlights) are really slowing things down, lately? (For example, closing for periods of time, specifying types of submissions, etc.) As someone who is new to the children's magazine market, it's making me a little nervous. I wish I'd thought to start submitting ten years ago!

#35 - August 07, 2018, 02:15 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
Kelsey,

I think summer is slow in general.  I also don't think it helps that Submittable makes it so easy to submit manuscripts to magazines like Highlights and Cricket.  All it takes is a press of a button to send in your piece.  I bet these magazines are swamped with submissions.  What's even worse is that the number of print publications has been shrinking over the years with the declining number of print subscribers.  So, yes.  It is a tough market for freelancers.  If you don't have an agent, there really don't seem to be too many options either.  Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.
#36 - August 07, 2018, 02:51 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
The magazines themselves are also smaller with more online content being offered. The same thing has happened with local print newspapers. Digital is cheaper to produce.
#37 - August 07, 2018, 09:00 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region france
I've just sent a query to "Faces" for their saving the earth's animals, and they stated that if you wanted to have a answer as to whether your mail had been received you had to put "response requested" in your title.
I did. it's been a week and no answer.
I guess I just need to wait a month. And as they ask for materials 4 month prior to the print, if I don't get an answer by then, it will mean, either they never received it or they rejected it....
It's hard to move on and not think about it, isn't it? :D
#38 - August 31, 2018, 11:43 PM
MA in creative writing. Author of upper middle-grade novel and chocoholic and SCBWI member

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
Waiting is tough, but a week is far too soon to have a reply. Hang in there!

Tracy
#39 - September 01, 2018, 11:06 AM

Just a quick follow up for anyone still comparing.  All my subs have been answered now.  Two quick nos from ladybug in August  (sigh)  and a delightfully surprising yes from Cricket in sept.   Phew.    Now its time to go write more.   Lol   

Keeping my fingers crossed for all of you still waiting.
#40 - September 21, 2018, 03:08 PM
Thomas Jefferson & the Mammoth Hunt 2018
Dumpling Dreams, 2017
Magic for Sale,  2017
Pia Piratissima 2014
Victricia Malicia, 2012

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
Congratulations on your acceptance!!
#41 - September 21, 2018, 06:24 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
YAY, Carrie, on your yes from Cricket!!  :hurrah  Hugs on the others.
#42 - September 22, 2018, 01:58 PM

Thanks,  Ev and Tracy.  It's the little happinesses that keep me going!
#43 - September 22, 2018, 02:20 PM
Thomas Jefferson & the Mammoth Hunt 2018
Dumpling Dreams, 2017
Magic for Sale,  2017
Pia Piratissima 2014
Victricia Malicia, 2012

Members: