SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Is calling art directors still a reasonable practice nowadays?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Dear fellow illustrators,

I read the following suggestions for submitting art (mainly editorial illustrations). Wonder if "follow up with a phone call or email a few days after they receive their post " still a reasonable practice ?  Would ADs be very busy to answer unsolicited phones  ?

Thanks !

"It's tempting to send an email with a website link to a client but it's so much better to send them something in the post which they can keep. Regular commissioners of illustration love to receive inspiring things in the post (doesn't everyone?) and will have a place near their desks to keep the best they receive. They might not have the right commission for you that month but if they have something tangible from you they're much less likely to forget you.

Follow up with a phone call or email a few days after they receive their post and (if geographically possible) ask if you can come in and show them your portfolio. Face to face meetings are a fantastic way to build up a personal relationship with your clients."
#1 - April 25, 2018, 03:11 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I'm not an artist, but I wonder if the advice would be different depending in what country the art director is. The phrasing "in the post" makes me suspect the advice you're reading is for submissions to art directors in a country other than the US. The phrasing in the US would more typically be "in the mail."
#2 - April 25, 2018, 05:50 PM
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 05:52 PM by AnneB »

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I will say that I've never called, nor even talked to, all the AD's I've worked with over the years. The one expection was an AD at a Korean press, she called me at an ungodly (for me:) hr to clear up some miscommunication about the work sent via emails.
If you have sent out your postcards, or emailed your on-line link, that's really all they need to know about you...is your work.
I've sometimes read this advice too over the years and I could never figure out what an Illustrator would SAY to an AD if they even managed to get them on the phone, "go look at my work"? :)
I think you're doing all you need. Send out another batch of postcards (with a new Illustration sample) every 3 months or so, just to remind them you're still here:)
#3 - April 26, 2018, 03:58 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
I will say that I've never called, nor even talked to, all the AD's I've worked with over the years. The one expection was an AD at a Korean press, she called me at an ungodly (for me:) hr to clear up some miscommunication about the work sent via emails.
If you have sent out your postcards, or emailed your on-line link, that's really all they need to know about you...is your work.
I've sometimes read this advice too over the years and I could never figure out what an Illustrator would SAY to an AD if they even managed to get them on the phone, "go look at my work"? :)
I think you're doing all you need. Send out another batch of postcards (with a new Illustration sample) every 3 months or so, just to remind them you're still here:)

Thank you, Chris,

You are totally right. It  would be weird calling ADs and literally asking them doing something.

I am a person with tons of questions. Hope people on Blueboard are not bothered too much  :)
#4 - April 26, 2018, 01:58 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
I'm not an artist, but I wonder if the advice would be different depending in what country the art director is. The phrasing "in the post" makes me suspect the advice you're reading is for submissions to art directors in a country other than the US. The phrasing in the US would more typically be "in the mail."

That make sense ! Thank you!

#5 - April 26, 2018, 01:59 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Absolutely no one on the forum is bothered by questions, that's a large part of what the board is for hue, :)
 You can also use the search function to check if a question you may have has already been posed.
#6 - April 26, 2018, 02:52 PM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Members: